Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I know there are a few older posts regarding this topic but I was hoping to get some fresh answers and experiences from the community :).

I have a 2019 Accord touring with the 10 speaker setup and the bass is very underwhelming. I had a 2012 Accord V6 EX-L with a stock 7 speaker setup and the bass was so much better. I don't want to use up any trunk space and was thinking of swapping out the stock 8" sub with an after market one on the rear deck (recommendations will be appreciated). I don't want anything crazy, just something that will make the bass sound more like my 2012 accord. I have the bass and sub setting set to maximum and I only hear the bass if I turn up the volume real high (above 17) and at that point my ears hurt.

Here are some questions I have:
1) If I upgrade the free air sub, do I NEED an amplifier?
2) Will I need to disable ANC even though the sub would be in the exact same location? (I really don't want to mess with the ANC)

Thanks in advance!

·
More cars, more problems
435 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't bother upgrading any speakers without upgrading amplification and/or DSP - at the end of the day that's what's driving them.

The answer to your questions, however, is "no" to both.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally, I wouldn't bother upgrading any speakers without upgrading amplification and/or DSP - at the end of the day that's what's driving them.

The answer to your questions, however, is "no" to both.
Are you suggesting I get an amplifier for the existing subwoofer to see if it makes a difference?

·
More cars, more problems
435 Posts
Are you suggesting I get an amplifier for the existing subwoofer to see if it makes a difference?
I wouldn't do that either, since the factory subwoofer can only handle so much power, and then ANC will be an issue. These cars (like lots of modern car stereos) are tricky because they rely heavily on DSPs to fabricate the soundstage. ANC is part of this equation, too. If you were to upgrade amplification, you would likely need to disable ANC as the onboard DSP would be trying to output the same level as it was with just the factory amp/woofer - in other words, you'll get a constant audible humming noise while driving.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't do that either, since the factory subwoofer can only handle so much power, and then ANC will be an issue. These cars (like lots of modern car stereos) are tricky because they rely heavily on DSPs to fabricate the soundstage. ANC is part of this equation, too. If you were to upgrade amplification, you would likely need to disable ANC as the onboard DSP would be trying to output the same level as it was with just the factory amp/woofer - in other words, you'll get a constant audible humming noise while driving.
Interesting... So what would you recommend I do to get a little more bass?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Interesting... So what would you recommend I do to get a little more bass?
Prolynotgon like this answer but you need to browse through 85826628499 posts that have been made on the issue, and pick one solution that suits you. People have done a simple speaker swap, or drop a used car money on a whole entire system professionally tuned, or anything in between. With varying degrees of success.

·
2018 Sport 2.0T 6MT
98 Posts
I can speak from experience on my previous 2018 Touring (like I've posted about in a few of the 85826628499 posts lol). I upgraded all the speakers including the subwoofer. Overall bass levels dropped. There was almost no discernable difference in bass output from the factory subwoofer to the 8" Kicker subwoofer I put in its place.

The four midrange speakers produce significantly less bass when you replace the factory paper speakers with aftermarket speakers with bigger magnets and heavier materials.

If you want more bass, you need to add amplification. If you're going to amplify (a) speaker(s), you need to replace it with an aftermarket speaker rated to handle the additional power.

Anyone here disable the ANC? Was there a big difference in the quietness in the car? More road/engine noise?
This has been discuss ad nauseum. I highly suggest you do a search and get to reading.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Anyone here disable the ANC? Was there a big difference in the quietness in the car? More road/engine noise?
Unplug your ANC, you won't notice a difference. Unplug your stock sub, buy an amp, get an 8in sub and put it on a ported box. Buy an LC2i and a bass knob. This is exactly what I did to mine, although mine is a Sport model and don't have a stock sub.

I'm using an Infinity Reference 860w sub on a Rockford Fosgate amp with an LC2i.

Spent roughly $500 installed. Turn the bass down, way down on your head unit. People can't believe I'm only running an 8in sub with stock speakers when I demo it to them. They thought I spent a fortune on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.