Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
2023 Accord Re-design?

Any idea of when the new Accord will be released?

Would love to see how it evolves.

Thanks!
I'm curious about this too, though it's probably too early still.

I'm trying to weigh a decision on when to replace my 2007 Accord. It has 187k miles and is drinking a quart of oil every 1,100 miles. No other issues at the moment other than my wife hates it. I did stick $800 in it in September 2021 to fix a driver's side axle + catching up on routine maintenance. That was 8 months and 7k miles ago.

Then if I do choose to replace the 2007, the next question is do I grab a 2022 or wait for a possible 2023? Historically I've always preferred choosing to buy a "new" outgoing generation car vs. being a guinea pig on a new generation. That's what I did when I purchased my 2007, and I did the same thing when we purchased my wife's 2017 Accord. Of course, in those two instances I also had negotiating power on my side as dealers were incentivized to dump the outgoing generation vehicles on their lot to make room for the new redesign. I don't think the current environment is conducive to that, though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
UPDATE 7/26/22: Honda has confirmed to C/D that the redesigned Accord will be a 2023 model-year vehicle and that the new generation will launch early next year. We expect the hybrid to go on sale a few months later than the standard model, like with the new 2023 CR-V. This story has been updated accordingly.

Thanks for this update. Back in May I put a deposit down for a 2022 Accord Sport 1.5 to replace my aging 2007 Accord with 189k miles. The car is scheduled to be built at the end of August with a delivery date of mid-to-late September. The dealer warned me that there was a slight chance the car would never get built as the 2023 redesign loomed, and I know fall is when Honda historically flipped the factory lines over to the new redesign.

Yesterday the dealer gave me an update that the 2022 build date of end of August was still on as scheduled, and this news is hopefully good in the sense that they'll still be building some 2022s for at least a bit longer.

My wife drives a 2017 Accord so this will be our third Accord purchase. This will also be our third Accord purchase of the final generation year (which I sort of prefer to do).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for this update. Back in May I put a deposit down for a 2022 Accord Sport 1.5 to replace my aging 2007 Accord with 189k miles. The car is scheduled to be built at the end of August with a delivery date of mid-to-late September. The dealer warned me that there was a slight chance the car would never get built as the 2023 redesign loomed, and I know fall is when Honda historically flipped the factory lines over to the new redesign.

Yesterday the dealer gave me an update that the 2022 build date of end of August was still on as scheduled, and this news is hopefully good in the sense that they'll still be building some 2022s for at least a bit longer.

My wife drives a 2017 Accord so this will be our third Accord purchase. This will also be our third Accord purchase of the final generation year (which I sort of prefer to do).
Quoting myself here, but just wanted to provide an update as my dealer texted me this morning with an update on my deposit.

The 2022 Accord Sport 1.5 that I ordered in May was built this week as scheduled and has just shipped from the factory in Marysville, Ohio. It'll be on the lot ready for me within a few weeks, if not sooner. Amazingly, the build was precisely on schedule too to the exact date range that the dealer provided me back in May.

I'm not sure of the technical process of flipping the factory lines over to a new generation, whether they flip everything over at once, whether they build both gens simultaneously for a short period, etc. But I suppose we know for sure with my example that Honda is still building 2022 Accords as of this week.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How does this work btw? Can you bargain or do you have to pay whatever MSRP or Dealership charge you?
It's a very different process now than it used to be. The short answer is there's no bargaining one-on-one with dealers. They set their price, and it's take it or leave it. If you say no thanks, they say ok and let you walk out the door. They don't even call back a few days later trying to change your mind (at least not in my experience).

The only bargaining options you have is contacting all the dealers you're willing to travel to. Figure out who has the best price and go with them. In my region, some were charging $5k markups ABOVE MSRP. Others were some various combo of MSRP + dealer accessory packages ranging from $200 to $2k. The dealer I chose is only requiring a $200 accessory purchase. Ok, fine whatever. I don't really want that accessory for $200, but it's the best I can find so I have the choice of taking it or just not buying a car. Nobody else within reasonable distance from me is offering a better price.

Here's an odd nugget I also discovered: dealers here seem to have two price points, one for customers "in town" and one for customers out of town. They'd always ask me where I was coming from, then say "oh you're local so you qualify for our better offer" which was still MSRP + whatever markup/accessory package.

So long as the dealers have no issues finding buyers willing to pay, this is the situation we'll be in. They won't reverse course again until they start having cars sitting on their lots. Even the dealers requiring $5k markups are moving their cars. Someone's willing to pay. I negotiated hard during our previous two car purchases, and succeeded both times (deals > $5k under MSRP). But that was years ago. Dealers would have hundreds of cars on their lots, and you can pit them against each other until someone would cave and undercut the others on price. I tried that approach again a year ago, and it was an epic fail. Nobody budged on their price - they were like granite.

My car "order" is a loose term. Really all I did was tell them the trim and color I wanted (Sport 1.5L in black). They told me the next car fitting that criteria allocated to them that does not have an existing deposit would be built on a certain date range roughly 3 months out. They essentially had a list of models/trims/colors of cars that Honda had allocated to their dealership along with dates of when those cars were expected to be built. Some trims apparently are not really available. Multiple dealers told me the entire state would only have 3 or 4 LX trims allocated several months out, and they were earmarked toward specific dealerships (i.e. the ones charging $5k markups).

By putting a $500 deposit down, I'm essentially holding that car and have earned first right of refusal. Then you just wait. The dealer has texted me periodically with updates, most recently that the car has been built and has shipped (but not yet arrived). That's where I am now. Once it arrives, they'll hold it for me until I can go in and get it. So far as I know, they do not allow other customers to look at the car or test drive it if it sits on their lot a few days until I can get there. It's basically reserved for me.

For the most part the dealers have been pleasant. Most have acknowledged that all they're doing is just taking orders/deposits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts