Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
181 - 200 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
^ It's beautiful! ^

In all seriousness, while spy shots are sometimes fun... in this case they don't reveal much. Too often at this stage they add padding or purposely make sure that the camouflage misrepresents the car- so you really can't tell much. It seems like the moved the LED DRL to the top of the headlight rather than the bottom... which would make it similar to the new Civic.

Thanks for posting it though overlord. You win the prize for the first alleged spy shot post. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
2023 Accord Re-design?

Any idea of when the new Accord will be released?

Would love to see how it evolves.

Thanks!
I'm curious about this too, though it's probably too early still.

I'm trying to weigh a decision on when to replace my 2007 Accord. It has 187k miles and is drinking a quart of oil every 1,100 miles. No other issues at the moment other than my wife hates it. I did stick $800 in it in September 2021 to fix a driver's side axle + catching up on routine maintenance. That was 8 months and 7k miles ago.

Then if I do choose to replace the 2007, the next question is do I grab a 2022 or wait for a possible 2023? Historically I've always preferred choosing to buy a "new" outgoing generation car vs. being a guinea pig on a new generation. That's what I did when I purchased my 2007, and I did the same thing when we purchased my wife's 2017 Accord. Of course, in those two instances I also had negotiating power on my side as dealers were incentivized to dump the outgoing generation vehicles on their lot to make room for the new redesign. I don't think the current environment is conducive to that, though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Great question. My instinct is to wait for the new model, given the current market conditons and the fast rate of change and development in car design and technology.

I decided to get a Toyota RAV4 Prime, and traded in my 2013 Accord for that. But still love the Accord and eager to see what the new model will be.

·
Registered
2018 Accord 2.0 Touring
34 Posts
Put the blue dot in the center and move it towards the rear. Everything is relative; if volume gets shifted to the rear, it will get attenuated in front.

·
Registered
2018 Accord 2.0 Touring
34 Posts
In that case I misunderstand the question. I have the 2.0 Touring, I'm not exactly sure if there is a "front speaker" to speak of. Even if there is, I'm not sure how important it is to be able to adjust its volume separate from the others.
As I tried to explain, move the blue dot from the center of the matrix, front speaker gets softer as the others get louder. In a given quantity of sound, the matrix allows you to divide it any way you wish.

·
2010 2.4EX
942 Posts
The "front center volume" is easily adjusted, at
least on the 2.0 Touring. Can't speak to lower-end
models.
The exl and touring have the same audio. Care
to explain how you adjusted it?
Put the blue dot in the center and move it towards
the rear. Everything is relative; if volume gets shifted
to the rear, it will get attenuated in front.
I hate to break it to you, but that does nothing
to adjust the front center speaker volume.
On page 272 of the 2021(and thereabouts) Accord owners manual, it explains what audio playback adjustments are available.

Included there is something called DTS “Neural Surround”(depending on trim level). I suspect that the center dash speaker(again, on Neural equipped Accords) is active only when Neural Surround is turned on. And the only ‘adjustment’ I see for it is On/Off.

You might want to check if there is a supplemental manual just for audio/info tainment systems on these model years, for more detailed operating & adjustment.

If the center channel seems too loud for some, yes, you could use the Fader function to move the apparent location of the audio rearward or forward as preferred, but, to ultimately disable center speaker, I would just turn the Surround off, enabling Stereo-only(L/R) mode.

This is, afterall, a car, and not a home theatre, and so individual adjustment - for surround or center levels - might not be available.

Here is the owners manual for 2021 Honda Accord(but it may be useful also for 2020 and 22s): Infotainment begins around p260

·
Registered
2021 Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L, MSM, 2011 Acura TSX
170 Posts
Okay guys. The center dash speaker is ALWAYS active. Unfortunately its volume is NOT separately adjustable. This results in a front center-centric effect which diminishes the stereo system sound quality of all music played through the system. Whether Honda considered this is up for discussion. Any system with a three speaker front configuration NEEDS a separate volume level control for the center channel.

Your “fader” control merely changes the relative volume between front/back and left/right. There is NO adjustment for the front center speaker. PERIOD.

This is the first car I’ve had that did not have that capability. It’s even available on my 2011 TSX as a separate level control.

·
2010 2.4EX
942 Posts
Okay guys. The center dash speaker is ALWAYS active. Unfortunately its volume is NOT separately adjustable. This results in a front center-centric effect which diminishes the stereo system sound quality of all music played through the system. Whether Honda considered this is up for discussion. Any system with a three speaker front configuration NEEDS a separate volume level control for the center channel.

Your “fader” control merely changes the relative volume between front/back and left/right. There is NO adjustment for the front center speaker. PERIOD.

This is the first car I’ve had that did not have that capability. It’s even available on my 2011 TSX as a separate level control.
Well I suppose someone out there will be able to disconnect the wire to that center speaker as they did with Active Noise Cancellation(ANC). My only concern will be possible loss of center dialogue/vocals on such systems

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well I suppose someone out there will be able to disconnect the wire to that center speaker as they did with Active Noise Cancellation(ANC). My only concern will be possible loss of center dialogue/vocals on such systems
Ahhh! And there in lies the problem. If I am not mistaken, alerts are routed through that speaker, along with navigation instructions, etc. A properly designed system would be programmed so that the loudness of sounds routed to the center channel, whatever they may be, are independent of each other, and the audio level from a music source routed to that speaker is fully adjustable. Most music is recorded in two channels, and the audio from that cheap speaker can be turned down so that the left/right front speakers can provide better stereophonic sound.

As a side note, the rear passenger doors in THIS car should each have a mid/woofer and tweeter, NOT the rear deck.

·
2010 2.4EX
942 Posts
the rear passenger doors in THIS car should
each have a mid/woofer and tweeter, NOT the
rear deck.
I beg to differ on that point:

I grew up in cars with rear deck/“hat shelf” speakers, and drove a few.

My wife’s Corolla and my Accord have rear deck speakers, and trust me, that rear shelf allows for a wider range of speaker sizes to be mounted back there, vs the lower cavity of a door. Our ears are not located on our legs, so why have speakers positioned down by them? 😆

·
Registered
170 Posts
I beg to differ on that point:

I grew up in cars with rear deck/“hat shelf” speakers, and drove a few.

My wife’s Corolla and my Accord have rear deck speakers, and trust me, that rear shelf allows for a wider range of speaker sizes to be mounted back there, vs the lower cavity of a door. Our ears are not located on our legs, so why have speakers positioned down by them? 😆
Yes, the rear deck CAN be a great location, in the right setting. But Upward firing speakers need a surface to reflect the higher frequencies toward the listening space. The angle of the Corolla rear window reflects those waves into the passenger seating area. The 10th generation Accord with its sharply sloped, streamlined rear window, doesn’t. Those upper mids and high frequencies are mostly reflected back onto the rear deck and absorbed, as they are very directional, resulting in washed out, poor quality audio. It’s simple geometry and physics. Honda‘s chosen location for the rear tweeters could not be any worse. The lows and mids, being less directional, are certainly acceptable to a non-discerning ear, but the label “premium audio“ certainly does not fit these two trim levels, as the sound is completely unbalanced and nowhere near premium.

·
Registered
2020 Touring 2.0T
112 Posts
. . . nowhere near premium.
I agree. This is one of my few disappointments in my 2020 Touring. Depending on what music is playing, the sound is often tinny and distorted, to the point of unpleasantness.

My wife’s old Mini’s standard system sounds much better. I don’t think it’s the whole story, but the rear speakers happen to be in a “rear door” position behind the front seats, even though it only has two doors.

·
2010 2.4EX
942 Posts
I agree. This is one of my few disappointments in my
2020 Touring. Depending on what music is playing,
the sound is often tinny and distorted, to the point
of unpleasantness.

My wife’s old Mini’s standard system sounds much
better. I don’t think it’s the whole story, but the rear
speakers happen to be in a “rear door” position behind
the front seats, even though it only has two doors.
1. Unpleasant sound: Might be some of the ‘enhancers’(ANC, etc) running in the background with no user defeat.

2. Honda is largely a pragmatic organization, adopting new ways of doing things gradually, not out of the gate. Most car makers probably removed speakers from dash & deck due to sun deterioration in those locations.

Honda also hung on to double-wishbone and other tried and true designs for suspension in their models.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok, now I am looking forward to all info on the new Accord. The wife has decided she really likes my 2022 Touring. I need to get her one before she steals it.

181 - 200 of 231 Posts