Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

'12 Accord Coupe - Rust in front crossmember frame...

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Dilipan G. 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, car is 8 yrs old, Accord Coupe I4, only 77K km on it (48K miles). I live in cold Toronto, but only 1/3 of those km are in the winter. Yet I'm seeing the front crossmember frame rusting. It's not surface rust, it's deeper (starting to flake). See attached pics. I think it's water entering the engine bay from a loose rubber hood seal as in the pics, but still, for that piece to rust is worrying, as I don't drive much and I do Krown anti-rust every year, plus I wax the car twice yearly. My goal is to have this car for another 5+ yrs in good condition so I hope this thing doesn't become a rust bucket.

-Is this rust normal?
-If not normal, do I have to worry about the rust moving to the rest of the subframe?
-I've ordered a new rubber hood seal and installing it tomorrow. But moving forward, since rust never sleeps, what should I do about that rust? Should I sand, add some rust protection, then an oil-based paint?

I appreciate your advice.

If the pics aren't very clear, the rust is inside the engine bay, right in front of the radiator (behind the grill).

The rust is in the area below the red marking.

See less See more
#2 ·
Fairly normal, mine isn't nearly that bad, but I also have working weather stripping. I'd sand it down to bare metal, then repaint that section with etching primer, followed by paint.
I don't think neither Krown anti-rust nor you waxing the car reaches that spot.

Reactions: DerekWildstar
#3 · (Edited)
Fairly normal, mine isn't nearly that bad, but I also have working weather stripping. I'd sand it down to bare metal, then repaint that section with etching primer, followed by paint.
I don't think neither Krown anti-rust nor you waxing the car reaches that spot.
Thanks. I will do that.

How's this?

-sand down to bare metal
-self-etching primer
-filler primer
-paint
-lacquer clear coat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.