Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little sick after driving my buddy's newly acquired '05 TL with 104K miles on it. What a nice ride is what wifey said after she drove it.

He just bought off of his dad for $4000. It drives better than my 2013 Accord EXL in all but one area and that is suspension compliance over broken pavement. In every other category it is equal or better. Quieter, smoother, nicer richer leather, tighter steering with zero buzz/vibration in the steering wheel at idle, and much better power/torque/responsiveness (unfair V6 to 4 cyl comparison and yes, had I gotten the V6 I'd likely not be posting this). The TL gauge cluster is a bright blue which is just awful. Accord wins there.

Although more narrow inside, the TL non height adjust passenger seat is properly angled and not too low to the floor. Overall, it felt like a near luxury car and makes my ExL feel like the putt putt economy car it really is. It boils down to the 4cyl vs the V6. It makes a world of difference. If Jr. weren't going to be driving in 6 months, I might have gotten rid of it by now.

·
Thunder Up!
3,020 Posts
I'm a little sick after driving my buddy's newly acquired '05 TL with 104K miles on it. What a nice ride is what wifey said after she drove it.

He just bought off of his dad for $4000. It drives better than my 2013 Accord EXL in all but one area and that is suspension compliance over broken pavement. In every other category it is equal or better. Quieter, smoother, nicer richer leather, tighter steering with zero buzz/vibration in the steering wheel at idle, and much better power/torque/responsiveness (unfair V6 to 4 cyl comparison and yes, had I gotten the V6 I'd likely not be posting this). The TL gauge cluster is a bright blue which is just awful. Accord wins there.

Although more narrow inside, the TL non height adjust passenger seat is properly angled and not too low to the floor. Overall, it felt like a near luxury car and makes my ExL feel like the putt putt economy car it really is. It boils down to the 4cyl vs the V6. It makes a world of difference. If Jr. weren't going to be driving, I might have gotten rid of it by now.
The 3rd Gen. TL also MSRP'd in 2004-2008 at close/over $40k (in today's prices with inflation). Mine was slightly more quiet, but it was so long ago I can't recall when it was stock. I put deadener/ccf/mlv in the door so it's not exactly fair to compare that to the 9th gen. Human aural memory sucks anyways.

-- Smoother? Maybe. Acura does a little softer ride, but not by much in my opinion.
-- Better leather? I don't know on this one. The leather in mine didn't look great at 100k, but I also bought it used
-- Buzz/Vibration?...I'm not getting that. Could it be due to the CVT? I felt it in my Sport, but it's not there in this V6 with the standard AT
-- Like you mentioned, not a fair comparison, but the v6 in this car feels more responsive and stronger than the TL in my opinion.
-- TL gauges were definitely not great. The TL-s was much better.

The TL also had a laundry list of issues that were manufacturer defects. Acura knew about these and still made a lot of us pay for 100%. Some had luck with Acura covering a little bit, but most didn't. I'm talking about the HORRIBLE dash cracking starting on the airbag and moving all around. The nav. disc would get scratched and would just restart over and over and over. Bad design and location (trunk). The AT tranny in the '04-06's were pretty bad. A lot of failures. Mine included. Needed a complete rebuild at 108k miles. It still shifted pretty rough at times. Quite a few other things.

That's a nice car for $4k, but a lot had these issues. I'd take my '15 v6 over my 3rd gen TL any day.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
Having owned a 2005 TSX, that would be a better comparison to an I4 Accord.

The leather was incredible & perforated compared to my 8th gen I "downgraded" to. The seat was only slightly more confortable. The TSX handled better... but was smaller and took premium.

The TSX paint quality was better, and the interior was much nicer.

If I could find a low mileage 2008 TSX I would be tempted... the 2009+ is not in the same league.

Had I bought my TSX in manual I would likely still own it now... the 5AT in both the TSX/TL had its own issues.. especially with pressure switches.

Lets not forget the 60/40 folding rear seats!!!!

·
Thunder Up!
3,020 Posts
Had I bought my TSX in manual I would likely still own it now... the 5AT in both the TSX/TL had its own issues.. especially with pressure switches.

Lets not forget the 60/40 folding rear seats!!!!
Yup. Replaced those damn pressure switches twice. Didn't help.

The TL had the middle fold down, which is a nice touch. Loved firing a sub through there, but now I've got a kiddo taking up that spot lol

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good points from actual owners. I've never owned an Acura car but I'm on my 5th MDX. Never an issue with the same V6/transmission combo even on the 130K '04 beater (although I performed a trans cooler bypass before it could fail and ruin the tranny)

·
2014 Accord EX white
208 Posts
I was looking at the gen TL before getting my accord.

Only reason i didnt get it was because i couldnt find one in good condition for a fair price

its one of those cars that will always look pretty to me like the 2000 lexus gs....

one thing i noticed in those cars the leather wears quickly unless your a car freak and take care of it....

tranmission can be a problem if the previous owner beat up on it....

other than that its a great car...

the only thing i envy is the extra power it has but i dont drive an accord to be fast...

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
My local dealer had a 2014 TL SH-AWD fully loaded demo with like 10km on it... I was tempted like crazy over getting my 2015 Accord.... but the back seat is a deal breaker for me... that weird hump in the middle...my wife would be pissed as she likes to sit next to the kids in the car seats sometimes...

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is this vibrating everyone is talking about? I assume this is CVT people, as my manual accord is fine at idle.
My vibrating is an annoying buzz from the engine through the steering wheel at low speeds and idle. It makes it feel cheap and I have not felt it in several different makes of rental cars. It does not happen at all times and it matters not if the engine is warm or cold. I never have any issues above 35 mph and freeway behavior is great but that TL V6 torque and responsiveness makes me jealous.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
My vibrating is an annoying buzz from the engine through the steering wheel at low speeds and idle. It makes it feel cheap and I have not felt it in several different makes of rental cars. It does not happen at all times and it matters not if the engine is warm or cold. I never have any issues above 35 mph and freeway behavior is great but that TL V6 torque and responsiveness makes me jealous.
My TSX started vibrating too but only after 5-6 years, I replaced the front vac active engine mount and it only got a little better. When I got into my Accord it didn't vibrate at idle cause it's manual but boy does it vibrate with the AC on.

·
Registered
333 Posts
You are also comparing a 4 cyl vs a 6, of course it will be better in almost every way. Add to that the 05 gen TL is the best gen they ever made IMO looks wise. The interior was good at the time but is a bit dated now, but not badly. I was considering a 08 tl type S when I bought my 15 accord but I couldn't find a good deal on one with under 100k and the 3rd party warranties were real expensive.

·
'15 6-6
565 Posts
This pretty much comes down to 6 vs 4, and near luxury versus upscale standard. Torquier, quieter, smoother, comes from V6. Nicer leather and passenger seat features is luxury car. I wouldn't feel too upset though--your Accord still has another 200K to go while that Acura has maybe another 100--so you're good!

·
2014 Accord EX white
208 Posts
This pretty much comes down to 6 vs 4, and near luxury versus upscale standard. Torquier, quieter, smoother, comes from V6. Nicer leather and passenger seat features is luxury car. I wouldn't feel too upset though--your Accord still has another 200K to go while that Acura has maybe another 100--so you're good!
your crazy

honda and acura is the samething buddy

lol

they share the same motors and transmission with minor differences

so why wouldnt the acura last just as long??? :wink

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
your crazy

honda and acura is the samething buddy

lol

they share the same motors and transmission with minor differences

so why wouldnt the acura last just as long??? :wink
I'll chime in here. Of course you missed the TL with over 100K miles already on it. He's saying the TL already has 104K on the clock and is good for another 100K for a total of 200K while my Accord has only 20K on the clock and is good for another 200K or so.

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts
The 3rd gen TL was regarded by many as the best TL released. I looked at purchasing one as well before I bought my 9th gen. Unfortunately there are common issues with the transmission life.

There are many here who think the TLX is just an expensive Accord, and while that is true, you really do get a lot for the extra cash. I sat in a last gen MDX and was very impressed with the leather.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I came out of a V6 04 Accord. My 2014 V6 gets about 10% better mileage and I imagine is safer, esp with a small overlap crash.

The 04 does a few things better but the 2014 is pretty good.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts