Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The factory radio in my '13 Sport receives several local AM and FM stations poorly. I confirmed this by comparing reception in my car with another Sport, same year.

My car has an aftermarket sound system, including component speakers in the front doors, tweeters in the a-pillars, and a signal processor, 2-channel component amp, and monoblock amp in the trunk, driving a 12" sub.

The HU is connected to the signal processor with 14 gauge speaker wire, a 4 gauge wire feeds power from the battery to a distribution block in the trunk, and a 4 gauge wire connected to a second distribution block provides grounding for the amps and processor.

As instructed in the factory service manual, I confirmed that the antenna amplifier in the right rear c-pillar is receiving 12v from the battery. The amp may still be bad, however, as I haven't found a way to confirm any output to the antenna grid on the rear glass.

So despite the fact that the antenna amp receives power, and the electric grid on the rear glass has continuity, the reception problem persists.

The car is still under warranty, so I offered to pay a diagnostic fee to the dealer if they found that the aftermarket system was causing the problem. They claim that Honda tech line won't allow them to troubleshoot anything unless the aftermarket system is disconnected from the head unit. I am well aware of the fact that, in order to deny warranty coverage, Honda would have to prove that the aftermarket system caused the problem.

I didn't press the matter with the dealer because I'm concerned with them tearing into the dash on what might be a wild goose chase. So for now, I plan to continue diagnosing on my own, and would appreciate hearing from anyone whose car has had this problem and found a way to fix it.

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts
The factory radio in my '13 Sport receives several local AM and FM stations poorly. I confirmed this by comparing reception in my car with another Sport, same year.

My car has an aftermarket sound system, including component speakers in the front doors, tweeters in the a-pillars, and a signal processor, 2-channel component amp, and monoblock amp in the trunk, driving a 12" sub.

The HU is connected to the signal processor with 14 gauge speaker wire, a 4 gauge wire feeds power from the battery to a distribution block in the trunk, and a 4 gauge wire connected to a second distribution block provides grounding for the amps and processor.

As instructed in the factory service manual, I confirmed that the antenna amplifier in the right rear c-pillar is receiving 12v from the battery. The amp may still be bad, however, as I haven't found a way to confirm any output to the antenna grid on the rear glass.

So despite the fact that the antenna amp receives power, and the electric grid on the rear glass has continuity, the reception problem persists.

The car is still under warranty, so I offered to pay a diagnostic fee to the dealer if they found that the aftermarket system was causing the problem. They claim that Honda tech line won't allow them to troubleshoot anything unless the aftermarket system is disconnected from the head unit. I am well aware of the fact that, in order to deny warranty coverage, Honda would have to prove that the aftermarket system caused the problem.

I didn't press the matter with the dealer because I'm concerned with them tearing into the dash on what might be a wild goose chase. So for now, I plan to continue diagnosing on my own, and would appreciate hearing from anyone whose car has had this problem and found a way to fix it.
Are you running HID ballasts or any other high voltage devices that aren't stock?

·
Registered
697 Posts

These cars do not really have electrical issues, but be prepared for that to be the dealers 'out' when it comes to addressing things on your car.
I wrote service for 12 yrs and my techs wouldn't touch a car if someone had worked on it themselves or had extensive mods done to it while still under warranty. Out of warranty that's a different story.

Hope you get it figured out.

·
mobiless2
2,200 Posts
Is your rear glass tinted, if so what kind of tint. Certain tint affects reception.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No Glass Tint or Aftermarket Lighting

My car is all stock, except for the stereo equipment.

Incidentally, I understand why the dealer is reluctant to dig into this problem, knowing that two high voltage amps and a thick power cable running nearly the length of the car were added.

The good news is that CDs and music sourced through the USB connection (relocated to the storage area below the center armrest) sounds great, with a remarkably low noise level.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Well, when you fool around with the audio system electronics why are you surprised that the radio reception might be affected? Why are you surprised that the dealer wouldn't touch your car with a ten foot pole under the warrantee? Obviously, you don't listen to the radio for music because none of your mods will really improve AM or FM sound quality. Just go with your music on CD or through USB and just use the radio for news stories.

I don't understand why modifying anything connected to the electrical system on these cars would make sense especially while the car is under warranty. Let's count all of the systems that might be affected by fooling around with the electrical system. Electric power steering, electronic engine control, antilock brakes, back up camera, iMid computer and even the electric cooling fans. Modern cars are electronic marvels using computer chips and components that are very sensitive to changes in voltage or amperage.

Bottom line, modify at your own risk.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Antenna Amp Test?

Does anyone know how to test the antenna amp on a '13 Accord Sport with a multimeter?

The factory manual doesn't have a test procedure and I haven't found anything on the web, either.

·
Elvira - the car
3,521 Posts
Does anyone know how to test the antenna amp on a '13 Accord Sport with a multimeter?

The factory manual doesn't have a test procedure and I haven't found anything on the web, either.
Can't answer your question but are you saying there is a factory manual for the 2013 MY? TIA

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2013 sport and when i turn on my rear defroster the antenna reception goes to crap, I have no electrical mods what so ever. Been thinking about taking it to dealer while its still under warranty

·
2.5th gear
306 Posts
Radio is just bad. i listen to the USB drive almost all the time except to listen to radio from time to time. but not really for music since its sound low. it was this way before i had a aftermarket amp sub and speaker. and i have window tint since i got the car. dealer tint.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Radio is just bad. i listen to the USB drive almost all the time except to listen to radio from time to time. but not really for music since its sound low. it was this way before i had a aftermarket amp sub and speaker. and i have window tint since i got the car. dealer tint.
You literally could get better sound quality by running an original Sony Walkman into the AUX input on the car.

Such a shame.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts