Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As expected, my 2005 2.4 with 150K miles came back with a healthy UOA. I've ran either mobil 1 or penzoil platinum synthetic X-20 oil since I bought it and changed the oil at 100K.

I will say I'm happy that iron, lead, wear metals are low, but I'm not happy zinc and other anti-wear additives are below universal averages.

For your viewing pleasure:

05 accord 1.jpg

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your post states you are at 150k and you changed the oil at 100k = 50k since last change.
Report states 5k miles on oil.

Recommend you clarify for all those that may be reading your post in the future.
Thanks for your appreciation of the money I spent and the time I took to post it here.

I've changed the oil either 5k or 10k intervals in those 50K miles.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Thanks for the info. My Accord is 12k miles away from hitting 150k, and I change my oil between 5k-7k miles using conventional, of course checking my level weekly to make sure it isn't low, topping off if needed. In the future I may consider switching to a high-mileage synthetic oil, but what I'm doing now hasn't caused me any problems.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The older honda motors didn't really seem to care, but it seems the K24, from what I've experienced and seen on here, seems to like synthetic oil.

·
Roll Tide!
7,660 Posts
Thanks for your appreciation of the money I spent and the time I took to post it here.

I've changed the oil either 5k or 10k intervals in those 50K miles.
Little snarky tonight, Duggar? We both know I could care less about how much you spent or the time you took to post it here instead of the fluid dynamics forum, but you already knew that considering your response.

I must say, you are to be commended for clarifying your oil change interval(s) so others that read your thread have accurate information if they are at all interested in formulating an opinion on the Blackstone report that has given you mixed feelings.

Now you could take it a step further and let readers know if you have the maintenance records, specifically the oic change and a/f replacement history, of the car prior to you buying it or is it just an unknown.

:x

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
1,018 Posts
What brand oil was this test performed on?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
penzoil platinum

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Good report, Chris. What did they say in the summary?

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 - Pureplus and Bosch Distance-plus filters are what I've been running for a long time.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it was blah blah blah, your oil is fine. Basically the metals are lower than average and sitting for a month without being run didn't hurt anything.

have you ever got one drew?

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
it was blah blah blah, your oil is fine. Basically the metals are lower than average and sitting for a month without being run didn't hurt anything.

have you ever got one drew?
A long time ago, on another car. Maybe I'll get one done on this Accord at some point. I've read so many on BITOG that I can almost predict what mine would be... and that's.... similar to yours.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A long time ago, on another car. Maybe I'll get one done on this Accord at some point. I've read so many on BITOG that I can almost predict what mine would be... and that's.... similar to yours.
Well head over to the website and have them send you a shipping container.. I'm curious as to how the 5w30 comes back.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what weight of oil has been used prior to this change, and what weight was in this change?
I'll say it again since you didn't read in the first post, [email protected]:

I HAVE ALWAYS RAN SYNTHETIC MOBIL 1 OR PENZOIL PLATINUM Xw-20.

If you look in the top right of the sheet, it says I ran Penzoil Platinum 5w-20.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Well head over to the website and have them send you a shipping container.. I'm curious as to how the 5w30 comes back.
At 150K, your engine tolerances are probably a bit looser than new. You might want to consider making the move to 5W-30.

The only reason Honda went to 20 grade, was so it could meet CAFE standards. You might see roughly 1% difference in fuel consumption.... so actually, you won't see it at all. However, if you ever overheat the 5W-20 will break down and damage your engine a lot faster than the 5W-30 will. Furthermore, our i4 use timing chains, which are bit rougher on oil (causing more shear) than those with a timing belt.

What was the total damage$ for the UOA?

...Drew...

·
Roll Tide!
7,660 Posts
I'll say it again since you didn't read in the first post, [email protected]:

I HAVE ALWAYS RAN SYNTHETIC MOBIL 1 OR PENZOIL PLATINUM Xw-20.

If you look in the top right of the sheet, it says I ran Penzoil Platinum 5w-20.
I read your post, Sally. Unfortunately nobody knew what "X" stood for but you. 0w-20 or 5w-20 are two possibilities; we were left to assUme these possibilities because we know there is no such oil weight as "X-20" in this country. And since you failed to provide all the perts and such in your initial post, who knew you did fail to put "5w-30" after "mobil 1"?. Thank you, drive through.
:x

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
obviously 5w20 or 0w20 since to my knowledge there's not a 10w20 or -5w20 or any other kind of w20. common sense.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've been running UOA's on my '04 I4 for a few years and posting them on BITOG (Bob is the Oil Guy), and recently ran 10k on Pennzoil Platinum PurePlus 5w-20 with very good results. I'll post my UOA's here again if anyone is interested.

The conclusion I've drawn is that in my application 10k is not a stretch, and that I'm more concerned with running the oil low to the detriment of the timing chain/tensioner than I am about the ability of a modern day synthetic to do it's job. Oils today are very stout, and the K24 is well known for being easy on oil.

That said I'm going to stick to 7500 mi intervals for now. I've got quite a bit of oil on hand to use up and the 7500k will give me margin for error.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah go ahead and post it. i'd like to see it

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
1,018 Posts
Pennzoil is amazing motor oil. It's kept my Accords motor spotless, and cleaned up my 200k Civic nicely. UOA's are money well spent to see how far you can take your oil.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts