Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just put my winter tire setup onto my 2016 Accord Sport (white) over the weekend:

Winter wheels = 18" from a 2014 Accord Sport. I actually prefer the look of these to the 19s of the '16 Sport, and the ride as well (more below)...

Winter tires = Michelin Cross-Ice 3 aka XI3 (225/45R18). I got a kickass deal on these thanks to a family member ($560 OTD through his work).

First of all, I'm impressed how quiet these tires are. They really don't make a lot of noise until 60-65mph. Secondly, I can't help but notice how much more nicely the car drives now. Turn in becomes much easier with the narrower tire, and it just feels a little more natural or at-home with the 225mm tire width. The ride is impressively cushioned, and it's so much more comfortable riding on these that I might sell the 19s when the Continental all-seasons are worn, put some nice all-seasons on the Sport 18s, and get a true beater set of wheels for the next set of winter tires (and said beater wheels would likely be smaller than 18" so tires would be even cheaper too).

Who else is running winter tires? If so, what snow tires and how are you feeling about them (good/bad/indifferent)?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have 16" wheels with xi3 on my Accord - 205 width. Eats the snow right up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Running 225/50R17 Michelin X Ice on steel wheels on my 2016 Accord Sport, your right, even with snows, smoothed out the ride. (Nice to not having to clench your teeth every time you hit a pothole too)

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,621 Posts
Softer tires will smoothen out the ride. Winter tires are very soft.

Found a set of barely used Blizzak's, 225/35/18, for $300 - a little more noisy at highway speeds, but also a noticeable rumble as you take off or come to a stop. Almost sounds like wheel bearings!

I just hope I don't burn them off in one winter. Have to change my driving habits with these treads!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Running 225/50R17 Michelin X Ice on steel wheels on my 2016 Accord Sport, your right, even with snows, smoothed out the ride. (Nice to not having to clench your teeth every time you hit a pothole too)
The one consolation of having the 16s on the LX is having a lot of rubber between your rim and the road. I need snows...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also am looking at getting the 18" accord sport rims to use as my winter rims.

I am hoping that someone has had the experience with going the opposite direction with the tire size for the snow tires as the original poster who downsized them slightly. I am looking at doing 225/50 R18 tires on the rims.

This ups the tire size by:

Overall Diameter 26.4 regular tires 26.9 snow tires

So it is a total of a 1/2" taller which would be a 1/4" on either side. I did look under at the wheel by the strut and there seems to be about 5/8" clearance but the fender lip concerns me.

This is the calculator I used from a link on these boards:

Performance Probe

I was wondering if anyone has put this size on the 2016 accord sport and if it worked before I spend the money on them????

Thanks a lot in advance, happy holidays!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just put on 225/50/R17 Blizzak LM32 winter tires on my 2015 Accord Sport. Waiting to see how they handle the elements.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8

Who else is running winter tires? If so, what snow tires and how are you feeling about them (good/bad/indifferent)?
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8, 205/65R16. Amazing winter tires for deep snow, and ice.

I have always used winter tires... tried Pirelli, Michelin, Bridgestone, Toyo and Nokian over the years... this is the 3rd set of Nokian's that I have bought.

The Hakkapeliita, is the best winter tire that I have tried.

·
Registered
73 Posts
See my post below for a picture of LX rims on my 2015 Accord Sport.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/4835018-post6.html

Not much clearance as you can see in my post

I read that for 2016 Honda installed a larger rotor for Sport trims and above. So I would think that a 16 inch alloy wheel rims may be a no go. Safer to go with a 17 inch rim. Hope this helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts