Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have a problem. A loud one. So I have an 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring that we have driven about 108,000 miles, yes, it's a lot. And about 2 months ago, we encountered a very odd problem that apparently has not been seen anywhere else. I will upload a video for this forum for people to understand, but the problem is that our radio produces static noise. And it is like a old analog TV with no signal creating that super load and static sound! The problem is that we can't even turn it off. Powering off the radio with the power button does nothing, as well as putting the radio on mute and lowering the volume. No matter what setting you adjust, the radio seems to be possessed. We have the upgraded unit that comes with the Touring trim that has the navigation system. Although I have brought the car to the dealership about 3-4 times, they were not able to reproduce the noise when they had their technicians check it out. Although the people that take the car in did witness the static noise of the car when I pulled the vehicle up to the service center. And three times I was told that they were not able to reproduce to problem, leaving me to take the car home and deal with the noise afterwards... again and again. I asked Honda about my options. Since they are not able to reproduce my problem yet, my option was to replace the headunit of the car, which would come out of my own pocket. They said somewhere around 1k and up. Although I know that the car has driven through a lot of miles, I don't think that a car that new should have an infotainment issue to this severity. Please let me know if anyone has encountered this same issue and if there is any remedies to resolve this issue, what are my options!

Although, one thing that I have done to somewhat help my case is remove the wiring that connects to the three speakers in the rear since it easy access to remove the connectors. On the other hand, the speakers in the front are more difficult to reach since the door panels would need to come off.

Because this is my first post on the thread, I was not allowed to attach a hyperlink to my thread. I will paste the link below, please watch to understand

VIDEO

VIDEO FOR ORIGINAL POST

17' Accord Radio Static

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't heard of this issue before, but I wonder if it could be related to the Active Noise Cancellation system since that would seen to explain why turning down the stereo volume doesn't help. Maybe even just a loose wire from the ANC? I wouldn't drop the money on a new HU without at least checking that out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This started in my Honda Accord 2017 as well. It will start when the radio is off. It is so loud and peircing. The only thing that fixed it is turning my car off for a few minutes which is not always realistic. I’ve tried disconnected and turning off Bluetooth devices as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This started in my Honda Accord 2017 as well. It will start when the radio is off. It is so loud and peircing. The only thing that fixed it is turning my car off for a few minutes which is not always realistic. I’ve tried disconnected and turning off Bluetooth devices as well.

Same issue as of very recent. 2017 Accord Touring. This is the most terrible noise and you cant stop it! I too have had to literally pull over and shut off my car. And even that didn’t change it two times when I restarted it, it was there again. Other 2 times it did. I also recorded myself trying to turn down the volume, showing the top screen saying AUDIO POWER OFF yet its still screeching & crackling. I’ll take my recording to Honda tomorrow & leave it at service. This is WAY over any recommended allowable decibels not to damage hearing. Very bad! We only have 58,000 miles on ours! The onboard computers manage to store trouble codes & I hope it stored this. I take my 89 yr old father to many Dr appointments and I’m afraid to get him in the car now! I’ll post what happens!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same issue as of very recent. 2017 Accord Touring. This is the most terrible noise and you cant stop it! I too have had to literally pull over and shut off my car. And even that didn’t change it two times when I restarted it, it was there again. Other 2 times it did. I also recorded myself trying to turn down the volume, showing the top screen saying AUDIO POWER OFF yet its still screeching & crackling. I’ll take my recording to Honda tomorrow & leave it at service. This is WAY over any recommended allowable decibels not to damage hearing. Very bad! We only have 58,000 miles on ours! The onboard computers manage to store trouble codes & I hope it stored this. I take my 89 yr old father to many Dr appointments and I’m afraid to get him in the car now! I’ll post what happens!
I feel your pain. I too pull over and turn my car off and on multiple times to get it to stop. When I’m in the city and can’t I put in my noise canceling ear phones and listen to a podcast. Which is dangerous bc I probably won’t hear horns honking etc but I have to do something bc it hurts my ears so bad. I too have recorded the noise on my phone. It’s crazy. Please let me know what they say at the Honda place.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,121 Posts
It's typical for a dealer's service dept to say "We can't reproduce ,,," Translates from dealerspeak into either "we don't know how to fix it" or "we don't want to mess with it." That's why it's best, as members pointed out, to record the noise and write down legibly when it happens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have a problem. A loud one. So I have an 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring that we have driven about 108,000 miles, yes, it's a lot. And about 2 months ago, we encountered a very odd problem that apparently has not been seen anywhere else. I will upload a video for this forum for people to understand, but the problem is that our radio produces static noise. And it is like a old analog TV with no signal creating that super load and static sound! The problem is that we can't even turn it off. Powering off the radio with the power button does nothing, as well as putting the radio on mute and lowering the volume. No matter what setting you adjust, the radio seems to be possessed. We have the upgraded unit that comes with the Touring trim that has the navigation system. Although I have brought the car to the dealership about 3-4 times, they were not able to reproduce the noise when they had their technicians check it out. Although the people that take the car in did witness the static noise of the car when I pulled the vehicle up to the service center. And three times I was told that they were not able to reproduce to problem, leaving me to take the car home and deal with the noise afterwards... again and again. I asked Honda about my options. Since they are not able to reproduce my problem yet, my option was to replace the headunit of the car, which would come out of my own pocket. They said somewhere around 1k and up. Although I know that the car has driven through a lot of miles, I don't think that a car that new should have an infotainment issue to this severity. Please let me know if anyone has encountered this same issue and if there is any remedies to resolve this issue, what are my options!

Although, one thing that I have done to somewhat help my case is remove the wiring that connects to the three speakers in the rear since it easy access to remove the connectors. On the other hand, the speakers in the front are more difficult to reach since the door panels would need to come off.

Because this is my first post on the thread, I was not allowed to attach a hyperlink to my thread. I will paste the link below, please watch to understand

VIDEO

VIDEO FOR ORIGINAL POST

17' Accord Radio Static

I have the same video recorded, that you have now. It is driving me nuts and it only seems to be getting worse. Have you found a solution yet to this issue?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Look up the fuse locations for the stereo and pull the fuse for the audio system see if you can make the noise behave differently or make it go away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it is an ANC how does Honda fix that? Anyone know? Mine is at the dealer ALL WEEK. It happened and I drove straight over there! Had all the windows down & you should have seen the heads turning & faces of the service writers & sales people that were outside. The service director heard it too!
Just too bad they couldn’t have a tech jump in it or on it right away! While it was happening.
I’ll post updates & praying for Honda to step up with a resolution.

Look up the fuse locations for the stereo and pull the fuse for the audio system see if you can make the noise behave differently or make it go away.
***Just curious what will that imply if the fuse is removed or it behaves differently?

·
Registered
12 Posts
With the radio being OFF, sounds like an ANC problem.
All right I pulled the ANC plug, and it seems like it got worse now, And more frequent. This is driving me crazy. I will attempt to pull the fuse. When the radio is off and I receive text messages there's static that comes over to radio as well. It seems like it begins in the radio and then it has that pulsating sound and I hear slight chirps in there as well. And then when I shut the radio off it continues coming through the radio with the pulsating sound as well again

I wish I could find a solution to this I drive to work in Manhattan. This is absolutely absurd It is driving me crazy. Anybody else have any other ideas. I thought maybe it only happened when I was driving however tonight I'm sitting in my car with the car running with the radio off and it started coming over from speakers again

·
Registered
4 Posts
My car has been at the Honda Service Center since Tuesday. It was making the horrific noise as I waited on a service advisor. A service advisor heard it. I wish they would have called a technician to come over and listen. Because guess what- now they cannot reproduce the noise. I told them to keep the car snd drive it around until they can because I cannot continue to pull over on busy highways, freeways, streets, put in ear phones etc when this noise comes on

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found a couple of forums that say to pull the fuse for DRL. I pulled fuse #15 inside the car and the one under the hood. STATIC IS STILL THERE!!! Someone please find the solution!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Y’all I was so damn sick of it and now they were looking at my breaks. I said break noise doesn’t come through the speaker. I just leased a new car. Completely not the solution but I couldn’t take it any more

·
Registered
2 Posts

VIDEO

VIDEO FOR ORIGINAL POST

17' Accord Radio Static
I just bought one and it did it on day #2 lol

·
Registered
2017 Honda Accord Ex Silver
7 Posts
I am a new member and posted the following message a few hours ago. Someone was nice enough to send the link to your thread.

"Hello All,

Background:
In August of 2020 I purchased a 2017 Silver Honda Accord. The car has been great until about three weeks ago when the radio suddenly started blaring static through the speakers. The power button wouldn't work and even with the volume muted the static/robot chatter was at full blast. It's undriveable in that condition.

What I've done:
I found the fuse under the hood that runs the stereo and pulled it. This disables both screens, the radio, and the 12v chargers in the arm console as well as the one under the radio. I left it out for a few days, replaced the fuse, and started it back up. Two days later the same problem occurs. I can't even explain how loud it is! After a week of no radio, backup camera etc. I looked online and cannot find a single instance of this happening to anyone else. So, I disconnected the battery last night, let it sit for 30 mins, then proceeded to reconnect. It worked great last night to go to the grocery store (test drive), and worked well on my 30-minute commute this morning. However, leaving the parking lot at work this evening the peace only lasted about 30 seconds before it started blaring static and robot beeps at maximum capacity. I've tried the fuse, the battery, disconnecting my phone from the bluetooth etc. Tonight I called the 1-800-999-1009 number for Honda and had them search for known issues and/or recall and software updates, all to no avail.

If you have encountered this problem, what did you do? The dealership will run a diagnostic but they have to be able to mimic the issue. I cannot drive it with the noise (nobody can), and it may blow the speakers out if I try. If I drive it with the fuse out and then reinstall the fuse at the service department it may not have the problem for 1-2 days based off of historical evidence. Please please please help.

- Nearly deaf from static"

I know this doesn't help but if I hear or try anything new I'll keep ya posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am in the same situation as you. If you hear anything let me know. I've done the same things that you have done I disconnected the ANC oh, and reinstalled it now. I've disconnected all my speakers in the back of the car. And the only relief I get is when I pull the fuse for the radio but as you said it kills everything the whole center console dies. I'm going to bring my car to Honda service next week but they probably have no idea what the hell they're doing

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the same issue my car is out of warranty and the dealer told me that the issue from the audio unit + amplifier + antenna which cost more than 2500 $ they said they get overheated and produce this noise it makes no sense they want to change the whole system because they couldn't figure out the real cause.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts