Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

'17 Accord Radio Static

106K views 422 replies 112 participants last post by  bzorb79 
#1 · (Edited)
We have a problem. A loud one. So I have an 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring that we have driven about 108,000 miles, yes, it's a lot. And about 2 months ago, we encountered a very odd problem that apparently has not been seen anywhere else. I will upload a video for this forum for people to understand, but the problem is that our radio produces static noise. And it is like a old analog TV with no signal creating that super load and static sound! The problem is that we can't even turn it off. Powering off the radio with the power button does nothing, as well as putting the radio on mute and lowering the volume. No matter what setting you adjust, the radio seems to be possessed. We have the upgraded unit that comes with the Touring trim that has the navigation system. Although I have brought the car to the dealership about 3-4 times, they were not able to reproduce the noise when they had their technicians check it out. Although the people that take the car in did witness the static noise of the car when I pulled the vehicle up to the service center. And three times I was told that they were not able to reproduce to problem, leaving me to take the car home and deal with the noise afterwards... again and again. I asked Honda about my options. Since they are not able to reproduce my problem yet, my option was to replace the headunit of the car, which would come out of my own pocket. They said somewhere around 1k and up. Although I know that the car has driven through a lot of miles, I don't think that a car that new should have an infotainment issue to this severity. Please let me know if anyone has encountered this same issue and if there is any remedies to resolve this issue, what are my options!

Although, one thing that I have done to somewhat help my case is remove the wiring that connects to the three speakers in the rear since it easy access to remove the connectors. On the other hand, the speakers in the front are more difficult to reach since the door panels would need to come off.

Because this is my first post on the thread, I was not allowed to attach a hyperlink to my thread. I will paste the link below, please watch to understand

VIDEO

VIDEO FOR ORIGINAL POST

17' Accord Radio Static

See less See more
#190 ·
I have the static problem coming thru my speakers intermittingly on my 2016 accord. It might last 10-20 minutes then goes away. It occurs every few days but more often recently. My mechanic says he can't find the problem unless the sound is there when he inspects it. It's horrible! I don't want to spend a bunch of money to get rid of it but I have 120,000 miles on the car and this issue should be honored by Honda. I wish I had a reasonable solution.

#193 ·
I am having the same HORRIFIC static noise issues with my 2017 Honda Accord EXL. Hopefully Honda does have a recall, I have been a Honda owner since 1995, with my first new car being a 1995 Honda Civic, then traded that in for a 2000 Honda Accord Sedan, which had over 580,000 miles and ran like a dream, no issues...ever! Then had a used 2011 Honda Accord Coupe because someone totaled my 2000 Accord. Recently, I got the 2017 Honda Accord EXL in 2020 but did not care that it was a used vehicle because I know the value of Honda's. Now with this issue, I seriously hope Honda does do a recall because I would hate to trade this car in. I will be making some calls to American Honda, maybe even the local news.

#194 ·
Definitely file a claim with American Honda. In order for a recall to happen (X) amount of customers must file a complaint… highly unlikely unfortunately and/or if they did so it would be years. What American Honda will do is a Goodwill 50/50 split on the total cost of repair. I know you don’t want to hear this BUT , replacing the AUDIO HEAD UNIT is only fix. Read all my previous post. Good luck mate!

#207 ·
I have had the same problems as all of you. I have taken it to the car dealership and showed the mechanic the videos I have recorded and they were unable to recreate the issue. I have noticed that the only time this has happened was when my car was sitting in direct sunlight for hours and got too hot. Yesterday, I put a sunshade up in my car and left it out for about 6 hours in direct sunlight and the speakers did not make the noise. Has anyone else noticed this correlation?

#240 ·
Solution. Read previous post. Replace Audio Head Unit. Good luck mate.
You are right. I did a diagnostic test with Honda dealer and the issue is with radio unit, it has to replaced. I send my diagnostic report and they have agreed to split the cost to 50/50 to change the unit(goodwill approved). So please open a case,so that they can issue a recall. If a recall is issued, they will reimburse the amount that we gave to dealer.

#253 ·
Has anyone ever determined away to correct the audio systems making the constant static noise, my 2017 ExL v6 is doing this now & it’s like I’m starting to get out of the stations range but it does it on every station
The only fix, I repeat.. the ONLY FIX is to replace audio head unit. Call American Honda.. open a case. Replace your head unit. Don’t waste anymore time, that is the only solution. Good luck mate!

#254 ·
Same problem here on my 2017 accord ex-l. Took a video - not sure what to do. Looks like someone else pulled the fuse to kill the radio. Does that work? What about simply replacing the entire head unit - has anyone tried that ? Thank you. This noise is very disappointing - not all what i expected when buying a Honda.

#256 ·
Take your time and read through this thread. All the answers and options are listed and discussed fairly in-depth, decision is upon you.
Thank you. I have read through all of the thread posts and found them extremely helpful. Before taking to dealer, I want to 1) pull a fuse to the amp, OR 2) pull the DRL fuse in order to prevent the noise from occurring - because as noted it is a safety issue when the noise occurs nd no where to pull over safely (like on interstate) I found the location of the DRL fuse, but can not find the fuse for the amp. Does anyone know if the amp fuse is separate and where it is located?

Secondly, I see that the only fix is to replace the audio head unit. I m having trouble locating that exact part from Honda. I see the folloing part lists and not sure if these are the correct parts:
Audio Unit Assembly, Base (Clarion)
39171-T2F-A71
AUDIO UNIT ASSY., BASE (CLARION)
List Price: $2063.23

There is also:
Display Audio (RMD) (Clarion)
39101-T2F-A71RM
List Price $ 598.86

Trying to understand which is referred to as the audio head unit, so I can have knowledge before engaging with the dealer and American Honda. Does anyone know which part is the one to replace ?

Thank you - I will keep you all updated on my journey - including my fuse pull attempts later today.

#260 ·
I have opened a case with American Honda. They gave me a case # immediately (via eMail), but since it is a Saturday, I do not expect an eMail response until at least Monday. I will post what they respond with.
Same here. Noise started about two months ago. Have a video. After reading this, I pulled out the audio fuse and called Honda. I too am awaiting an email. The rep told me the same script that was mentioned above (they never heard of this issue). The one thing I found interesting was that the rep asked me how did I know to pull the fuse. I mentioned there are several people experiencing this issue and that they was a platform that mentioned to pull it and to replace the audio head. I didn't bother with bringing it to the dealership. I'm not paying for a diagnostic test knowing they will not know how to fix this. Hopefully we can get a resolution soon.

#261 ·
Just a brief follow up - I did get a case # from Honda, and contact my dealer who said it would be $2400 to replace the head unit BUT THERE ARE NONE AVAILABLE. I would think that if Honda put in the effort they could identify the bad component of the head unit - and not have to replace them all.

#262 ·
Just a brief follow up - I did get a case # from Honda, and contact my dealer who said it would be $2400 to replace the head unit BUT THERE ARE NONE AVAILABLE. I would think that if Honda put in the effort they could identify the bad component of the head unit - and not have to replace them all.
I remember they told me as well NO UNITS were available. I can only speak from the experiences with my car and it was pretty much useless with this audio issue. Not only that but it was very very dangerous as the static noise was so loud I couldn’t hear emergency vehicles. I told them I was going to take my videos to the local news and let them run a story on it.. magically they went to another Local Dealership in Norfolk Va and grabbed a unit. Same day install as well. Good luck mate!

#263 ·
Update on the static noise in the audio system of my 2017 EX-L coupe. I filed a claim with American Honda after the last post. They required a written estimate from my local dealer to fix the issue. So I went and got the estimate ($3200), sent it to them and asked for consideration on covering the cost, arguing that I have owned 5 Honda vehicles over the last 15 years and this was the highest repair bill for any Honda I had ever owned, and for the audio system no less. They came back with an offer to cover the material if I covered half the labor. So I was out $500, which given the age of the car I felt was fair, and I can't complain. Kudos to Honda for backing their products and maintaining at least this customer. It is back together and all working now. I suspect the issue with the control head is thermal, I am in central Florida, we will see how long it lasts.
Can you let me know the dealer who you worked with in central Florida? Having the same issue with my 2017 Accord. Thanks.

#267 ·
I’ve had the discussion with them about it already and was given a case number for them to be handled by a case manager. I wanted to provide them with another example as stated by the thread on this, there aren’t any safety recalls related to this incident. Hoping that if they see another example where they have offered a goodwill claim that it could help my case.