Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have been trying to replace the starter in my 2006 Honda Accord but I'm stuck on trying to remove the 17mm bolt that keeps the starter in place alongside the 14mm bolt. The 14mm bolt is a pain but I think I loosened it up enough to get it off, but the 17mm is a whole different story. I've tried using a breaker bar and pushing with all my strength, and while I did manage to unscrew it for a bit it just ended up getting stuck again. Stuck to the point where it doesn't want to unscrew anymore, or screw back in anymore. It's just stuck there. The bolt isn't even stripped either.
What I've tried:
Hitting it with a hammer
WD-40
24inch breaker bar
None of these are working for me. I'm this close to removing the starter but this one bolt is getting in my way. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

· Registered
28 Posts
Hey, I have been trying to replace the starter in my 2006 Honda Accord but I'm stuck on trying to remove the 17mm bolt that keeps the starter in place alongside the 14mm bolt. The 14mm bolt is a pain but I think I loosened it up enough to get it off, but the 17mm is a whole different story. I've tried using a breaker bar and pushing with all my strength, and while I did manage to unscrew it for a bit it just ended up getting stuck again. Stuck to the point where it doesn't want to unscrew anymore, or screw back in anymore. It's just stuck there. The bolt isn't even stripped either.
What I've tried:
Hitting it with a hammer
WD-40
24inch breaker bar
None of these are working for me. I'm this close to removing the starter but this one bolt is getting in my way. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
If you've managed to move it a bit then tighten it a bit and then try loosening it a bit again, kinda back and forth (both directions). Keep plenty of penetrating oil on it.

· Registered
673 Posts
That 17 mm bolt was a bear on my 2007 SE, L4AT.

My breaker bar was visibly flexing, and there was little swing room.

Penetrants offered nothing.

But I don't think you can break that bolt so just keep backing it out.

For reassembly I re-tapped the hole and used copper anti-seize, with the hope of never having to repeat the job!!

· 2015 accord sport
223 Posts
What I've tried:
Hitting it with a hammer
WD-40
24inch breaker bar
Wow, I’m actually surprised how thigh your bolt is, usually after your able to break the bolt loose the rest should come off rather easy. Good luck

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses. I managed to slowly and painfully remove it using the breaker bar with constant adjustments. Since there isn't a lot of space to work, I'd have to twist with the breaker bar, and rotate the socket onto the peg to be able to grab the bolt again I also had to start using a 11/16 socket because after a while the 17mm socket wouldn't grasp it well. Replaced the starter, car is working fresh now. Putting it back was another huge pain- I think I screwed the 17mm bolt all the back back in but that 14mm bolt was in such a tough position I had to leave it slightly unscrewed (still super tight though, so all should be good).

· Registered
127 Posts
Thanks everyone for your responses. I managed to slowly and painfully remove it using the breaker bar with constant adjustments. Since there isn't a lot of space to work, I'd have to twist with the breaker bar, and rotate the socket onto the peg to be able to grab the bolt again I also had to start using a 11/16 socket because after a while the 17mm socket wouldn't grasp it well. Replaced the starter, car is working fresh now. Putting it back was another huge pain- I think I screwed the 17mm bolt all the back back in but that 14mm bolt was in such a tough position I had to leave it slightly unscrewed (still super tight though, so all should be good).
yeah the 14mm was a pain for when I did mine last week, I hardly had any room with anything that wasn't a 3/8 rachet. eventually I got it all the way in, and everything has been running great so far

· Registered
2007 5-Spd. 212+K
37 Posts
Glad you finally got the bugger out! Did you pull the intake manifold completely out?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts