Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of upgrading the wheels on my V6 Accord Coupe and i was wondering how much (if any) modification is needed in order to fit a 20" rim on the vehicle. The brand i am looking at is 20x9 and the current wheels are 18x8. Im pretty green in this area so i could use so help from those that have upgraded. If you could give me some examples of wheel and tire size that you or others have used that does NOT require modification that would be idea. Im not ready to deal with all of that quite yet...just looking for a cosmetic upgrade. If i am forced to lower it ,which i may have to, Spring suggestions and how much should i lower in order to house the twenty inch wheels without rubbing.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't think lowering will help 20's fit, I believe it will have the opposite affect.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
you can fit 22" wheels without any modification. the reason people lower is that upsized wheels on a stock suspension highlights the already huge wheel gap designed into the car. lowering will also cause natural camber, allowing you to pursue more aggressive fitments without your tires poking out from the sides.

width is only one factor in wheel selection - you'll need to consider offset too. a fair number of people run 10.5 all around, but more tend to use a staggered setup (like mine).

if you do lower, use coilovers. springs are very limiting and will essentially cost the same to install. coilovers will allow you to adjust height as desired and can take you far lower than springs ever will. below is my car as an example. it is important to me that i keep my car in as new of condition as possible so with aware driving i scrape only on very rare occasion.

19" wheels without a drop (ridiculous):

20" wheels with Honda HFP suspension (about 1.25" drop):

20" wheels with coilovers:

bottom line - go with coilovers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Doom. I love your setup BTW. Ihave been looking into Coilovers. They def seem like the way to go. I was wondering if you had to use a camber kit with your setup or if it was just coilovers along with the wheel setup. Is there anything else involved or did the coilovers take care of everything?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
You'll need a rear camber kit to keep your alignment within spec. Nothing needed in front unless you go a lot lower than me. That's about it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
just to add from what doom said...

there are alot of variables in your equation..

yes you can get 20's to fit no problem.. Then it all comes down to width, offset of rim.

Then tire size and how low your going to go and how much camber you want to run..

Coil overs and rear 3 bar camber kit are a must.. don't worry bout front it's not needed..

if you have questions bout width and offsets feel free to ask and I can help with tire size and tell you what you will need to do to get it to fit..

and remember what a coupe can run and a sedan are different FYI as to what is aggressive

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The setup I am looking at involves - Staggered Full Set -
20x9 Avant Garde M550 Matte Silver/Machined
20x10.5 Avant Garde M550 Matte Silver/Machined
The Fronts are 5x4.5/114.3 Bolt pattern with a 35 mm offset.
The rear are 5x4.5/114.3 Bolt pattern with a 45mm offset.
The Front tires are recommended at 245/35/20 and the rear will be 275/30/20. I am considering the Yokohama S-Drives and I will most likely be running Tein Coilovers.
What do you think of all of this? Recommendations for a camber kit? Anything else you think I may need to make it all work? Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
The setup I am looking at involves - Staggered Full Set -
20x9 Avant Garde M550 Matte Silver/Machined
20x10.5 Avant Garde M550 Matte Silver/Machined
The Fronts are 5x4.5/114.3 Bolt pattern with a 35 mm offset.
The rear are 5x4.5/114.3 Bolt pattern with a 45mm offset.
The Front tires are recommended at 245/35/20 and the rear will be 275/30/20. I am considering the Yokohama S-Drives and I will most likely be running Tein Coilovers.
What do you think of all of this? Recommendations for a camber kit? Anything else you think I may need to make it all work? Thanks
those should fit no problem maybe might have to roll some fenders just to be safe.. I would go smaller on the tires like a 225 front and 245 rear but that's me..

as for camber kit.. I have the SPC.. also have the J-power which is good but last I heard hard to find...

·
Registered
112 Posts
You'll need a rear camber kit to keep your alignment within spec. Nothing needed in front unless you go a lot lower than me. That's about it.
Doom,

What offset are you running on your Vossen's...? I am going for the 20" look of your pic with the mild lowering.

Kevin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Doom,

What offset are you running on your Vossen's...? I am going for the 20" look of your pic with the mild lowering.

Kevin
Just as Dom mentioned and since this is 3 years old from now, you will need a 3 arm SPC camber kit. I have tein street basis coilover on my 2012 Accord and im running staggered setup for my wheels.

Front: 20x9 +35 offset with 245/35/r20
Rear: 20x10.5 +45 offset with 275/30/r20

Depending on how low you decide to go, you will need to roll your fenders for the rear. As for the front, mine is flush but im about to raise it back up just a little to where I have clearance and it doesn't rub. Since i have in New Orleans, i can't go that low due to the messed up road we have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts