Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brother just bought an '87 Accord 2.0 L . I ordered up a Haynes manual, but it won't be here till next week. Can anyone tell me where the A/C service ports are located, and which is low and high? I see the obvious one that is just inboard of the battery, but I was not able to find the other one on first look. Also, what is the correct weight charge of R-12 if the system has been pulled down to vacuum?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
The system should hold 26oz of R12 and 7.5 oz of mineral refrigerant oil. The larger AC line closest to the radiator, running under the radiator hose by the right side of the battery is the low side service port. You will just have to look around for the high side, as it is not clear from the pictures I am looking at.

Also, the system has a sight glass in the receiver/drier so there is a visual indicator to watch while you charge the system.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The system should hold 26oz of R12 and 7.5 oz of mineral refrigerant oil. The larger AC line closest to the radiator, running under the radiator hose by the right side of the battery is the low side service port. You will just have to look around for the high side, as it is not clear from the pictures I am looking at.

Also, the system has a sight glass in the receiver/drier so there is a visual indicator to watch while you charge the system.
Thank you so much!

That’s a cool car. Post pics!
I'll get some pics on Sunday when I see it at his place again. It was my aunt's car (original owner), who is now too old to drive. He bought it as-is for $1,000. Has 97k miles, 2 door hatchback, original white exterior, console shift auto, carbeurator, and was garaged the whole time. It sat the last two years, so he had it towed to his favorite shop. They drained the gas, new battery and a few little things and it's running great. Passed Arizona emission test and was re- registered this morning. Not a scrape anywhere on it. Her long time shop had replaced the R-12 with Freeze-12 back in the early 2,000's, which has all leaked down after sitting. Hoping it will hold a vacuum. I have a friend who is a certified tech who still has old stock of R-12 and if the system is tight, I think he will charge it up with R-12 for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
If there is a sticker under the hood for the amount of R12 go by those values.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If there is a sticker under the hood for the amount of R12 go by those values.

I'll have more time with it on Sunday to look for it. Didn't see one on first look under hood. The air cleaner had a sticker but I haven't read it yet. No stickers were on the front around the radiator.

Retrofitting to R-134a is really easy. I did that on my older Hondas.
Doesn't that take replacing things like seals, accumulator, oil?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All I ever did was evacuate the R-12, screw on service port adapters, and recharge with 134.
Probably as good as Freeze-12 which apparently is a mix of other refrigerants.

Anybody know where that high pressure port is? I looked everywhere but under the car.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
If the system was probably converted to R134a sometimes the high pressure port has a sensor in the high side port as part of the conversion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the system was probably converted to R134a sometimes the high pressure port has a sensor in the high side port as part of the conversion.

There was a sticker on the passenger side that said Freeze-12 in '02 or '03. I do remember seeing a sensor around the piping on the driver side. I'll see if I can get a decent pic. I assumed it was a low pressure cutout or something.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Part of these conversions is adding a high pressure cutoff sensor. Typically they use the high side service port as it is easy .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Part of these conversions is adding a high pressure cutoff sensor. Typically they use the high side service port as it is easy .

That's probably why I was looking all around where I thought it ought to be and disregarded anything with a sensor on it! The low side port does have an R-134a type adapter on it. Thanks, Greg.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts