Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has a 1992 Honda Accord with 46k miles on it. The car was driven by one older lady and because her grandkids were arguing over which kid would get it when she no longer drove, she ended up giving it to my ex husband who gave it to my son who lived across the street. The car doesn’t run, my ex husband knows enough about cars(a lot actually), to think it’s the fuel injectors and fuel pump or tank. I don’t know much about cars at all so this is all out of my element. My question is, because of the extremely low mileage on the car is it worth keeping? Worth selling? Or just junking? It is a 1992 which I know is old but the engine has the low mileage. I’m not sure how costly fuel pumps and injectors cost, or how time consuming and labor intensive this is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as if this was your car what would you do? Thanks so much.

Michelle B

·
VCM DELETE
621 Posts
28 Years old? I would get rid of it, will be a money pit. Thats just my 2 cents.
To me once cars are older than about 15 years old you can have major issues go wrong (not just engine as you stated its low mileage) but suspension, electrical, Transmission $$$.

I would send it to the auction and see what it gets. But not running? maybe 300-400?

·
1,926 Posts
Because it has sat there so long, a lot of seals and such have probably dried out or at least oxidized and stiffened. Add to that the huge improvements in safety for a car that's maybe fifteen years newer and still probably a relatively old car (and thus cheap to acquire). Your ex probably suspects the fuel has gummed up from sitting there for so long, and I suspect he's right. Probably not cheap to fix vs what the car is likely to cost. You could easily be looking at $2-3k to keep it on the road for the next 2-3 years. I agree with the previous poster to a point, but older cars can fare quite well if they are driven regularly. Just like people who stay active, they can be quite serviceable well into their later years. That does not appear to be the case with your 1992, and gosh, I hope it's the case with my body. . . .

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,835 Posts
The cost of getting it running and other needed repairs would likely exceed the value of the car. Make sure there's nothing fishy with the title (you did say EX husband) and sell it. Low mileage doesn't mean squat with a car that old.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,942 Posts
Hi there, owner of a 31 year-old Honda that had leaking injectors and other stuff wrong with it upon purchase, and have definitely spent more than what I paid for it on repairs and other fun things.

Don't junk it. Please do not junk this car.

Some people on here don't understand (or just don't care) that owning a car isn't always about spending the least possible amount to maintain a car, lol. Or they only know the daily driver life and don't know what it is to have an older car that's fun to restore and find cool parts for.

Sell it to someone who wants to fix it up. You're not going to get $30k Bring A Trailer low-mileage-mint-condition-vintage-Honda auction prices, but you could at least sell it to someone who wants the car and doesn't care about spending money to fix it that "exceeds the value of the car".

Someone will definitely want this car if the body is in decent shape and the parts are original. Consider selling it to an enthusiast, someone like me (not literally me), who likes older Hondas and doesn't mind spending a bit to fix them up. There is a market for them.

Or, if your son is the owner, let him do what he wants to it, I guess.

·
1,926 Posts
Hi there, owner of a 31 year-old Honda that had leaking injectors and other stuff wrong with it upon purchase, and have definitely spent more than what I paid for it on repairs and other fun things.

Don't junk it. Please do not junk this car.

Some people on here don't understand (or just don't care) that owning a car isn't always about spending the least possibly amount to maintain a car, lol. Sell it to someone who wants to fix it up. You're not going to get $30k Bring A Trailer low-mileage-mint-condition-vintage-Honda auction prices, but you could at least sell it to someone who wants the car and doesn't care about spending money to fix it that "exceeds the value of the car".

Someone will definitely want this car if the body is in decent shape and the parts are original. Consider selling it to an enthusiast, someone like me (not literally me), who likes older Hondas and doesn't mind spending a bit to fix them up. There is a market for them.
Good point. The car is worth what two people agree it is worth. If you are willing to put in the time and do the research, you can probably find someone like enne mentions. Be sure to do your homework so that you set - and accept - a price that is fair to both of you.

For many of us, we have one car, it's a daily driver, and we only want to put money into it because we want to (make it nicer, better), not because we have to (to keep it on the road.) Those latter expenses are budget busters, especially for a young driver (and family.) I know. So that 1992 shoudl go to one of enne's buyers and not Chelbel's son. We took a few hand-me-downs that I had to be careful where I parked them on trash day. Seriously. My wife and I agree things started to get better financially when we stopped that and started to buy Hondas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts