Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I need your experienced opinions please.

This is a friend's car. It has been leaking oil for years. She was dealing with it by adding oil regularly.

Then one day she got out and noticed a large puddle under the car. She drove it straight home (about a half mile) - leaving a trail of oil all the way. From that trail I can tell that it was running onto the ground from the driver's side (front of the engine).

I am no stranger to working on cars, but I do not know what I am dealing with here. Everything underneath is drenched. I guess my first question would be - what comes to mind based on the location of where the leak seemed to be coming from? Everything is wet it seems - from the oil filter to even the inside of the the timing belt cover.

Thank you - if anyone can help get me pointed in the right direction here. My temptation is to fill the engine with oil - add dye - and then start it - to try and pinpoint things that way.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Get a couple cans of brake cleaner and clean everything up so you will be able to see where it is leaking from, look from the top of the engine down, valve cover gasket would be the first thing to look at, front & back. Welcome to DA.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
6,037 Posts
Clean it all up (like, really clean it) - it needs it anyway - do an oil change, then run it and look for leaks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. This makes sense of course. I may try this tomorrow - and add a bottle of oil dye for good measure.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Most likely the leak is from the balancer shaft seal. No one remembers to replace it when they do a timing belt replacement, and there is a new design part that holds the seal in. This video shows the location.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Greg. I bet this is going to be it. This car has a sketchy past, so my guess is that it was never replaced. And it fits all the symptoms.

Looking up the part number now..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys I thought I would post an update. I was never given the opportunity to work on this repair, and the car has since gone on to Honda Heaven.

I'm just posting so as to tie up the loose end.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,427 Posts
Guys I thought I would post an update. I was never given the opportunity to work on this repair, and the car has since gone on to Honda Heaven.

I'm just posting so as to tie up the loose end.
The Honda yard in Kennedale, TX?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ha - no. More like the crusher in Wisconsin. But I actually have no idea what the salvage yard did with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts