Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was driving normal today, and turned a corner, when I pressed on the gas, I had no acceleration. I tried to shift the transmission into a different gear (auto) and still nothing. I pulled over and cut off the car, I looked under the hood, and didn't see anything obvious. I started it back up, and the transmission engaged, but only for a short while. then back to nothing, no reverse, no anything. Shut it off and started it back up in 5 minutes, I had revers, but then when to shift into D4, and back to nothing, I could even go back to reverse. Any suggestions? 1997 Accord DX value model , 4 speed auto. 219K on it. everything else runs like a champ.

·
Wave Interference
189 Posts
Sounds like an internal pressure problem in your transmission. Barring any check engine codes, you may be looking at a transmission overhaul.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like an internal pressure problem in your transmission. Barring any check engine codes, you may be looking at a transmission overhaul.
At this point dont know if it is actually worth doing that. The car is not worth that much, so even a new (used) transmission might not be worth it. It is 15 years old, and I bought it cheap. I am going to change the fluid and see what happens. Then I will decie on what to do. Pulling out the transmission does not sound like a "fun" task.

·
4,637 Posts
Kind of curious what color is the atf? Hopefully, red or pink and not brown or black. Just pull the trans dipstick. Sounds like the trans is toast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Transmission Fluid was reddish on the dipstick. Will hopefully get to change it this weekend. I will say it is way over due on a fluid change. Should be interesting..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts