Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never posted, but you guys have been a great help in the past with my Accord. I guess I have to break the silence since I just can't figure this one out after ~2 days of searching.

Here's the problem:

About 40 seconds after the ignition is turned on, the temperature gauge rises all the way to hot. It's been this way since we purchased the car, and we're about to take it on a road trip and I'd like to get it fixed.

Here's a condensed version of what testing I've done:
- When the wire is connected to ECT sending unit, gauge goes to hot.
- When the wire is unplugged and not grounded, the gauge stays cold.
- When the wire is unplugged and grounded, the gauge goes to hot.
- A multimeter test on the ECT sending unit and negative battery terminal show roughly the right resistance, but it only shows very briefly before having to move the probes around to get it to show again. Seems odd. This caused me to replace the ECT sending unit, but the new one is the same.

Please advise?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The 98 and 99 2.3 Accords have two separate temp sensors, one for the ECM (ECT) and the other for the gauge on the instrument panel. The sensors are located next to each other on the head. The smaller one with the single wire is for the temperature gauge, so be sure which one you are working on.

The newer (2000+) 2.3 Accords have only one sensor for the ECM (ECT), the gauge is driven by an output from the ECM.

If the engine, head or instrument panel have ever been changed to the newer version (2000+) then they may not match up with the 98 ECM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm testing on the singe wire sensor, the one that runs to the gauge.

I'll be pulling the dash apart today. I don't think its ever been apart.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts