Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the axle nuts are the same for the front and rear of my 98 accord LV v6?

When I look to order the axle spindle nut online all I can find are the ones labeled "front". I am assuming they are the same for the front and rear but want to double check.

I am about to replace the rear wheel bearings, since they hum loudly. I can't tell which one needs to be replaced, so if I don't pick the correct one the first time, I'll just replace both rear bearing/hub units.

Do I even need to bother with replacing the axle nuts with new ones? They are about $3 so I figure why not.

·
Registered
136 Posts
no they are different sizes. I just did the all around hubs and bearings.

ones a 36mm which is the front i believe, and the back are a little smaller assuming that you have the 4 disk brake system...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, thank you. Yes, I do have the 4 wheel disk brakes.

Do you know where I can find the part numbers for the rear axle nuts? So far I have tried advance auto, autozone, and rockauto. All I can find is the front, but no part numbers that specify "rear."

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much metrick! I hadn't come across a parts catalog for honda like that yet. I had the same type of list for my subaru and it came in extremely handy.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I can't tell which one needs to be replaced, so if I don't pick the correct one the first time, I'll just replace both rear bearing/hub units.

Do I even need to bother with replacing the axle nuts with new ones? They are about $3 so I figure why not.

Raise the rear of the car and spin the wheels by hand. You should be able to here which one hums.

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
Raise the rear of the car and spin the wheels by hand. You should be able to here which one hums.
If for some reason this doesn't work try this...

Get the car up to 25-30mph, or until the noise starts.
Turn the wheel left. If the noise goes away, it's your left rear.
If not then turn right. Likewise, if the noise goes away, it's your right rear.

Rear nuts are 32mm. It's important to retorque them to 139ft/lb or you will be replacing them again in less than 1000 miles.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks so much metrick! I hadn't come across a parts catalog for honda like that yet. I had the same type of list for my subaru and it came in extremely handy.
Ya not a problem :D I found that one awhile back and have used it alot to just see how things are put together and see how hard it is to take apart...:banana:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I am pretty sure a muffed up an expensive part. While un staking the nut, I managed to drive my pin into some of the threads. I don't think I want to re-thread a new nut onto the mashed up threads. I was looking up the price of the entire knuckle and it's an expensive part to replace. I wonder if I can get the threaded shaft by itself. How is it attached to the knuckle?

·
Registered
231 Posts
You messed up putting it together or taking it apart? If you messed it up putting it together don't worry about it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me post a pic. I think I am a little "slow" tonight. After looking at the threads on the spindle there is no way my pin & rubber mallet could have caused this. I think it is just the spot in the threads that was cut away for staking the nut.

I would just like someone to verify that my thinking is correct.

·
Registered
231 Posts
There is a "groove" in the threads for staking the nut, that is correct.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

After looking at the "cut away" portion of the threads, there is no way I could have done that with my pin & mallet. Can anyone verify this is how the threads should look?

·
Registered
231 Posts
That's normal. Looks like the inner race is stuck on the spindle. I usually use a cut off wheel to split it, then pop it off. Some times they come off real easy other times it's a fight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for your quick feedback! 1st time replacing a rear wheel bearing. Yes the inner race is pressed on fairly good. Im about to bust out the cut off wheel.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I cut it on an angle then use an air chisel to knock it off. If you have an air hammer with a "chisel" you might be able just to pop it off. Aim at the furthest inner edge of the race and shock it straight down to try an get between the two.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts