Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I know someone who attempted to install a new battery on a 1998 Honda accord v6. After installing the new battery, the car does not start. When the key is turned, nothing happens, the starter does not make any sound.

Does anybody know how to solve the issue.

·
Registered
252 Posts
This may sound silly but did they take the plastic caps off the terminals? I have seen it many times.

I would checked the main fuse to see if it is blown. The fuse can pop when attempting to boost a dead battery.

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
This may sound silly but did they take the plastic caps off the terminals? I have seen it many times.

I would checked the main fuse to see if it is blown. The fuse can pop when attempting to boost a dead battery.
That would be funny. :lmao:

OP, does anything else work on the car? Dome lights, radio, buzzer when key's in ignition with door open?

While the starter didn't turn, did the starter relay click?

Was the car working perfectly fine before the battery died? How long ago was that?

Did the place the battery was bought from charged the battery and made sure it is ready to go into the car? I understand some shops will keep a battery "dry" and only add in the sulfuric acid solution when the customer purchases the battery.

If you have some of the components working, then you can start narrowing down where the problem is in the car, otherwise verify the condition of this new battery first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The original battery had died so the car had to be jump started once or twice. This is why the new battery was put in. After the new battery was installed, the lights and the radio were working, but nothing was happening after turning the key. No clicking sounds or starter sounds.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Does the car start or at least crank if you jump start the new battery? If so, then the new battery is probably no good. If still no start with the jumpers, then check the battery cables, clamps and fuses. Rather unlikely, but the starter may have died at the same time as the battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts