Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Honda Accord EX with a 2.3L motor, automatic trans. Car began running rough about a month ago (son driving). Was dying occasionally, and finally died and will not crank. Reading the codes, I found P1259, P0420, P0301, P0300. P1399, P1259, P0430, P0705, & P0706. The spark plug wires were shot, so I replaced with new plug wire set and new plugs. I'm have fuel pressure (not measured), spark, and compression. Plugs seemed to have a lot of fuel on them after trying to crank. Oil change is way overdue. Engine turns over but does not attempt to start. Car has 245000 miles now and had a head job, new timing belt, new oil seals, about 10,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If the plugs are totally wet with fuel they may be shorting out and not producing the spark needed to start the engine. Remove them from the engine and completely dry them with some sort of heat source. Are you sure its fuel on the plugs and not coolant? The rough running engine could indicate some sort of internal coolant leak even tho the head was recently rebuilt.

The wet plugs indicate you probably have plenty of fuel to the cylinders but just to verify, try some starting fluid to see if that makes it try to start.

If you need the trouble code descriptions they can be found in the Sticky questions at the top of this section.

·
Registered
1 Posts
98 honda accord

Hi i drive my car and it shuts off on me then it wont start after a fee minutes it starts it stalls out when driving iam getting a code p0706 a mechanic said it was the distributor cap but dont wanna fix it till i def know, please help???

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
A P0706 code refers to a bad park/neutral position switch

- Faulty Park/neutral position switch
- Misadjusted park/neutral position switch
- Park/neutral position switch harness is open or shorted
- Park/neutral position switch circuit poor electrical connection

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Ok

P1259 VTEC issues, most likely low oil level or pressure, if you change the oil and still have this you need to check the pressure switch and the Solenoid.

P0420 Catalyst below efficiency Bank 1, probably caused be P0300, P0301, P1399 codes

P0300 Multiple Misfires
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfires
P1399 Multiple Misfires
P0430 Catalyst below efficiency Bank 2, should not see this in a 4 Cyl

P0705 Short In Transmission Range Switch Circuit
- Faulty Park/Neutral Position Switch
- Misadjusted Park/Neutral Position Switch
- Park/Neutral Position Switch harness is open or shorted
- Park/Neutral Position Switch circuit poor electrical connection

P0706 Open In Transmission Range Switch Circuit

- Faulty Park/neutral position switch
- Misadjusted park/neutral position switch
- Park/neutral position switch harness is open or shorted
- Park/neutral position switch circuit poor electrical connection

The no start condition is most likely the Neutral safety switch codes P0705 and P0706, I suspect a wiring or switch issue.

Check your fuel pressure to be sure that looks good, also check your main relay to be sure it is working properly. The misfires I would take a look at the fuel injectors and concentrate on cylinder 1 as there is code for it. Also, replace the wires, cap, rotor button, and make sure the coil and the ignition module are good. I think once you get the Misfires corrected your P0420 code will be fixed as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts