Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, I've been having problems shifting to 1st gear while my sport is on a complete stop. Sometimes it doesn't grab even though I'm engaging the clutch all the way in. Is this normal?? THanks.

·
Registered
535 Posts
With the clutch pressed down, try shifting into second before first. It helps align the gears. My shifter will occasionally do this and I can correct it by shifting into another gear and then into first. I'm not suggesting you start in second, just that you select second then first.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
With the clutch pressed down, try shifting into second before first. It helps align the gears. My shifter will occasionally do this and I can correct it by shifting into another gear and then into first. I'm not suggesting you start in second, just that you select second then first.
This.

Its second nature for me to go into 2nd and then 1st now.

Jay

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh alright..didn't know that. From now on, will do that. Thank you so much guys :)

·
2013 Accord Sport 6MT
120 Posts
I've experienced this a couple times as well. I found that putting it back in the neutral then releasing and pressing down the clutch fixes this.

I'm going to try this shift to second before going into first as it would probably be faster then what I am currently doing.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Had this problem in MANY cars. Sometimes just moving the stick shift into the second gear was not enough to “clear” first. Sometimes I had to keep it in second and let out the clutch just a tiny bit – enough to move the car a foot or so. Then I could get it into first gear.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mine doesn't like to be cold. Either go from 2nd to 1st as mentioned or just give the clutch a pump. That usually does it for me.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Third option is to pause for a half second once you feel a little resistance going into first, then the lever should slide right up into first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts