Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
NYC ALIVE
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dose anyone own one or have ever sean one?

·
NYC ALIVE
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would trade my car for one of those in a heart beat. some one out there must have a collection of every gen

·
7th Gear
4,887 Posts
I will always list my 81 hatchback as one of the best I have ever owned. :thmsup:

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
My 78 Accord 5 speed was the one that sold me on all the rest. See my sig. That transmission and clutch were the smoothest setup I had ever driven. They did have front fender rust issues, but Honda replaced them under warranty.

·
coupe09
237 Posts
its funny but if u look at the brake and clutch pedal they both look just like mine pretty much 8 generations later

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a 1976 Gen One (Blue). I paid $850 for it and it had around 80K on it when I bought it back in 1984. I drove it all through high school and then some. It had a 5spd and was rather peppy and drove forever on a tank of gas. I know every aspect of that car. One thing for sure was it rusted like you would not believe. My strut towers were so far gone I had to bolt steel in them to keep the struts from blasting through the hood. The rear cross member was so far gone I seriously thought the engine was going to drop out of the car. I ended up finding a cross member in a salvage yard. The lower control arms were pretty far gone too and I ended up replacing one. Even the gas tank rusted and had a hole in it. I actually used J & B weld in it to seal the leak. That lasted for a year or so but I finally went to the junk yard and got another one. I drove the crap out of that car and even would take it off road. It was my very first car. I would love to find one today. That little 3bbl carb was fussy and I remember doing a few rebuilds on it. Mine even had a manual choke. But once you got that thing tuned right, that engine was super smooth at idle and ran great. The CVCC engine was a pretty wild design.

I can't tell you how many patches of bondo I had in it and also sheet metal for replacing rust spots. That car went from blue to black to white when i sold it. After many floor repairs I used roofing cement to rust proof the whole floor and strut towers. I used tons of it. That was a fun car to drive and easy to work on. It just couldn't handle the salt and snow of winter.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I haven't (yet) had the privilege of owning a 1st gen Accord, but I did come very close to buying this '78 Accord LX hatch 5-spd. a few years ago

I did, however, own a 2nd gen (83) Accord SE (with the same 1.8L CVCC engine) and it was the smoothest and most solid Honda I have ever driven. The quality of the materials, attention to detail, the refinement and smooth performance of the CVCC engine and overall build quality were just simply impeccable.

I also had a 2nd gen 1981 Civic wagon with a 1.5L CVCC engine that was much closer to the design of a 1st gen Accord.

These cars truly represented everything that Honda has been known for.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Great cars, man! I wonder how many 1st gens are still on the road? I've never seen one.

·
Second gear slammer!
461 Posts
i have an 86 hatch that i love, but id trade it for a 1980 in a sec. id miss my flip lights tho

·
Registered
335 Posts
My first Honda was a one owner 81 Accord sedan that i picked up in 1991.

I kept it for two years and sold it to a co-worker. He managed to blow it up in less than two months.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts