Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

Vendor
Discussion Starter #1
We've been asked what the status is on the CTR turbo upgrade. So here it is.

86 hp and 113 lb-ft torque over stock. The test car - 6MT Accord - is equipped with a downpipe and stock airbox. The calibration is still being fine tuned and will be available with our next software update.

When released, the calibration will have been crafted with thousands of miles of driving and thousands of dollars worth of installation and dyno tuning time. And you can benefit from this from as little as a $350 reflash.

Before the end of this month we will have CTR turbo fitted to our own 10 speed 2.0 Accord. So, by the end of the month, we will have a how-to article with photos and parts needed to accomplish this for your own vehicle. This is the value we are providing to you, the readers of this forum.

And, as we have we have said before, this is just the beginning of our research into what is possible for the Accord. The fun is just starting.

Attachments

Car so nice, bought twice
What's the comparison with Stage 2 vs. CTR? I think the majority of upgraders are going to be people already running stage 2 and want more power.

REV29K
Very nice! So what are the risks of the 2.0T putting out 350+ HP / 400+ lb-ft? Do you think the engine will still go 200,000 miles?

Registered
Very nice! So what are the risks of the 2.0T putting out 350+ HP / 400+ lb-ft? Do you think the engine will still go 200,000 miles?
If you in it for all out power 200k is out the window unless you build the motor to hold that power consistently.Im sure itll be fine unless your blasting off like a space rocket every light 馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀 .Im sure a rod and piston change and a full balance will solve any longevity problems.I always say you want to play you got to pay.
Is this on 91 octane will it need to be re-tuned for 93 ? Either way im convinced what tuner to get now 馃榾馃榾
The ecu on our car will adapt to whatever octane you are running. If you have 93 available I suggest running it.
ian you should try a tune with boostane ive seen good stuff happen with that fuel additive
Ian are you also running the ctr inlet pipe or it doesnt fit in our cars i hate plastic setup

Registered
We've been asked what the status is on the CTR turbo upgrade. So here it is.

86 hp and 113 lb-ft torque over stock. The test car - 6MT Accord - is equipped with a downpipe and stock airbox. The calibration is still being fine tuned and will be available with our next software update.

When released, the calibration will have been crafted with thousands of miles of driving and thousands of dollars worth of installation and dyno tuning time. And you can benefit from this from as little as a $350 reflash.

Before the end of this month we will have CTR turbo fitted to our own 10 speed 2.0 Accord. So, by the end of the month, we will have a how-to article with photos and parts needed to accomplish this for your own vehicle. This is the value we are providing to you, the readers of this forum.

And, as we have we have said before, this is just the beginning of our research into what is possible for the Accord. The fun is just starting.
Impressive gains but I'm curious to see how the 10AT holds up to that much torque. IIRC Honda has stated in the past that the design limit for the 10AT was 300 ft lbs.

Past Doritos Spinner
Another problem is that with that much extra torque and HP, I am curious how a FWD, open diff Accord would get any traction.

There are folks here with turbo V6 Accords. They have said that 1st gear is useless and 2nd is almost useless. In a manual, I suppose you just need to know to start in 2nd or 3rd, but I am not sure how you'd counter that on a 10AT. Can you just disable the first couple of gears?

Registered
If you in it for all out power 200k is out the window unless you build the motor to hold that power consistently.Im sure itll be fine unless your blasting off like a space rocket every light 馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀 .Im sure a rod and piston change and a full balance will solve any longevity problems.I always say you want to play you got to pay.

ian you should try a tune with boostane ive seen good stuff happen with that fuel additive
Ian are you also running the ctr inlet pipe or it doesnt fit in our cars i hate plastic setup
I don鈥檛 really drive hard all the time. Too much traffic where I live to really get into it. I鈥檓 prepared to do whatever upgrades are necessary down the road to keep the car healthy.

I use Lucas octane booster with 91 octane and I don鈥檛 have any issues with knock at all.

I鈥檓 thinking about ordering the ctr inlet, but I鈥檓 not sure there is any added benefit. The stock inlet is actually decent.. just oddly shaped and plastic. Internally Its a nice tube.

Past Doritos Spinner
I use Lucas octane booster with 91 octane and I don鈥檛 have any issues with knock at all.
Do you not have 93 pump gas near you?

Octane booster doesn't increase octane that much from what I have read.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

Registered
One thing that catches my eye is that the torque falls substantially below stock at less than 2500 rpm. How does this affect driveability in city traffic situations? This modification would certainly make a great race car, but for a car that has to double as a daily driver? I dunno...

REV29K

Impressive gains but I'm curious to see how the 10AT holds up to that much torque. IIRC Honda has stated in the past that the design limit for the 10AT was 300 ft lbs.
Another problem is that with that much extra torque and HP, I am curious how a FWD, open diff Accord would get any traction.

There are folks here with turbo V6 Accords. They have said that 1st gear is useless and 2nd is almost useless. In a manual, I suppose you just need to know to start in 2nd or 3rd, but I am not sure how you'd counter that on a 10AT. Can you just disable the first couple of gears?
You guys are proving my point, is it really worth spending a few thousand dollars on a turbo upgrade just to kill your engine and drivetrain in ~50,000 miles. I see this all the time. IMO, the quickest way to scrap a $30k car is to add too more power than the engine and drivetrain can handle. People end up breaking very expensive components in the car and have no money to fix them, on top of that, they are making a car payment on a car that doesn't run.

Sure, it's great for bragging rights, but that's a big gamble on a car you probably rely on to get you to work each day.

Registered

You can take off in 2nd gear in sport mode by pulling the + paddle shifter while stopped.

Registered
This is pretty incredible actually. How much does the turbo cost? What else is needed? Or does it just need the tune then you're good to go?

You guys are proving my point, is it really worth spending a few thousand dollars on a turbo upgrade just to kill your engine and drivetrain in ~50,000 miles. I see this all the time. IMO, the quickest way to scrap a $30k car is to add too more power than the engine and drivetrain can handle. People end up breaking very expensive components in the car and have no money to fix them, on top of that, they are making a car payment on a car that doesn't run.

Sure, it's great for bragging rights, but that's a big gamble on a car you probably rely on to get you to work each day.
Extra power can definitely hurt the longevity of the transmission for sure (and other components as well) but the biggest enemy of transmissions like this is traction and load. I do have some concerns since it's a 10spd and usually more gears means smaller gears.

It might be rated at ~300lb ft of torque but so long as you're not dogging the ever loving crap out of it and not making pulls from a dig it should hold up just fine. Granted, I come from a slightly different side of the car industry but I ran 500+ lbft of torque through a stock t45 and I never broke it :0

For leisurely driving and driving that is a bit more spirited, the extra power really shouldn't be a big deal. Then again, as much as I love my Accord, it probably wouldn't make a great track car.

I could definitely see someone do this (someone that has the extra cash lying around) just to have a little more passing power on the highway from time to time.

port & polish everything
Anyone going big should be careful, but a blown engine or tranny on a Honda is not the end of the world. Give it a couple years and scrap yards will have plenty of even 2.0T accords. Hasport published a video not long about a TSX K24A2 swap into an accord and the TSX engine and tranny costed around a grand or whatever.

Registered
"According to Sladek, the initial torque capacity is 275 lb-ft, with enough headroom built into the design to accommodate the expected spread from the new Odyssey throughout the Honda and Acura product lineups." - https://www.caranddriver.com/news/honda-innovation-delivers-10-speeds-no-clutch-pedal

"The new 10-speed from Honda can handle up to 370Nm (=273 lb-ft) of torque and looks destined for Honda V6-engine FWD models, potentially displacing the ZF 9-speed as the transmission option." - https://www.just-auto.com/news/honda-develops-10-speed-automatic-transmission_id164400.aspx

Current, the application with the highest torque is the 2019 RDX which produces 280 lb-ft.

If I were guessing, I'd say the limiting factor would be the torque holding capacity of the clutches and brakes rather than the gears. Once you reach the threshold at which the clutches and brakes slip, the transmission's life will be measured in minutes rather than years.

Naturally, there's a safety factor built in, but it'll take some real-world testing to find its hard limit.

The "headroom" that Honda mentioned is possibly more clutch plates and discs.

Registered
Hondata What's up with stock [email protected], is that real/true or something with the dyno.
I realize your doing a pull in high gear but is that data accurate at so low rpm.

Looking at it it would seem the 6MT would be making like almost full boost at 1500rpm, which seems really low.

I don't have 10gen Accord so don't know TQ powerband it has stock.

Registered
Hondata What's up with stock [email protected], is that real/true or something with the dyno.
I realize your doing a pull in high gear but is that data accurate at so low rpm.

Looking at it it would seem the 6MT would be making like almost full boost at 1500rpm, which seems really low.

I don't have 10gen Accord so don't know TQ powerband it has stock.
Honda has been advertising 252 HP @ 6,500 RPM and 273 lb-ft of torque from 1,500 - 4,000 RPM for the Accord 2.0T since October 1, 2017.

2018 Honda Accord Press Kit - Powertrain - Accord - Honda News

http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2018/Accord-Sedan/specs#mid^CV2F5JJNW

Registered
I just bought a tuner and haven鈥檛 installed it yet. Are you thinking the stage 2 tune is a bad idea based on these torque limits? Thinking about sending it back now.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts