Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Can anyone else tell me if their shifter vibrates in first gear? I haven't had the car long enough to figure out when it does and doesn't, but I frequently feel a nasty side-to-side vibration through the shifter only in first gear. It doesn't happen in any of the other gears regardless of the engine speed. This seems really odd to me. I just blew out the transmission mainshaft bearings in my TL which prompted my Accord purchase so I'm a little paranoid now...I'm wondering how much of a fit I should throw to the dealer when they tell me it's "normal".

Chris

·
Registered
41 Posts
You’re not alone. I do not have a lot of experience driving MT but I did feel the vibration you’re describing the other day. Then I felt it again even though it doesn’t happen all the times but it has happened to me. Like you I haven’t figure out why it does it and since it doesn’t do it all the time I’m not worry about too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I feel it too. I also used to feel it in my 2000 civic si so I'm contemplating this might be a Honda thing. The way I deal with it is to just not rest my hand on the shifter while in 1st.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mechanically there is a lot going on when you're in first gear, a lot of forces moving around. With a manual(in most), you do get feedback through the gear lever. In first gear, it is usually the most noticeable. I have the same thing in my SMR 2018 Accord 2.0T 6MT. I had my salesman look at it and he has the same thing with his C5 Corvette. I think its just a manual thing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mechanically there is a lot going on when you're in first gear, a lot of forces moving around. With a manual(in most), you do get feedback through the gear lever. In first gear, it is usually the most noticeable. I have the same thing in my SMR 2018 Accord 2.0T 6MT. I had my salesman look at it and he has the same thing with his C5 Corvette. I think its just a manual thing.
I have driven manuals my entire life and this is simply not true. My TL and my prior Accord have the exact same transmission setup as this with a similar amount of power and I never had a vibration through the shifter ever in any gear, UNTIL my TL's trans mainshaft bearings went bad. I have driven basically every Honda (and many other makes) with an MT that has been offered for sale for the last 20 years and have never felt this.

My S2000 vibrated in every gear, but there was obviously no linkage, same as your salesman's Corvette. A transverse engine M/T with a linkage should not be vibrating. How bad must the vibration be on the transmission if it's able to transmit so well through the rubber shift bushings and a shift cable?? To me that indicates a very severe vibration. And the fact that it only happens in first gear is very suspicious.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Maybe what I am experiencing with my 2.0T is not as severe as what you are. Mine is pretty minor, I don't hear anything or can't really see it shake. I can only feel it through the shifter and its more of a vibration like on a phone or video-game controller. Have you gone to the dealer about it yet?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe what I am experiencing with my 2.0T is not as severe as what you are. Mine is pretty minor, I don't hear anything or can't really see it shake. I can only feel it through the shifter and its more of a vibration like on a phone or video-game controller. Have you gone to the dealer about it yet?
Could be. Mine is nasty. I can feel very very minor vibrations in all gears (normal), but in first it is very pronounced. I am taking it in next week as they are replacing my windshield due to a stress crack. And my steering wheel due to a defect in the leather that turned into a small tear. I will let you guys know what they say!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Could be. Mine is nasty. I can feel very very minor vibrations in all gears (normal), but in first it is very pronounced.
Wow, that's crazy... I've only ever noticed vibration like that in one car, which was a 2000 Nissan Sentra GXE 5MT. In my 2014 EX 6MT, I really don't feel any vibration at all.

P.S. I kinda stole your signature idea. :)

·
Banned
438 Posts
After this thread I've made a conscious decision to keep my hand on the shifter and pay close attention to this the past few days...I can say that I don't have even the SLIGHTEST bit of vibration in any gear...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After this thread I've made a conscious decision to keep my hand on the shifter and pay close attention to this the past few days...I can say that I don't have even the SLIGHTEST bit of vibration in any gear...
Thanks for letting me know. Mine is still doing it consistently in 1st. I noticed it in 4th gear today for the first time, probably around 2500RPM and full throttle.

I'll let you all know what the dealer says...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have to agree that it may not be normal. I have driven several manual transmission cars in my life and have nit experienced this. Cant hurt to have them take a quick look at it, under warranty anyway

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for letting me know. Mine is still doing it consistently in 1st. I noticed it in 4th gear today for the first time, probably around 2500RPM and full throttle.

I'll let you all know what the dealer says...
I test drove a 2.0T Sport 6MT today. Didn't notice any vibration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone, New to the forum. Signed up because I recently purchased a used Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT. The car has 22k miles and is exhibiting a very similar vibration. I purchased it from a Honda dealership and am concerned that this first gear vibration is due to the previous owners/ test drives being pretty rough. The gear feels worn or bitten as it oscillates with speed. When the clutch is pressed in the vibration goes away. This was not evident during my test drive before purchase.

Did the OP ever get to a conclusion? the car is 2 days old to me and don't want it to get any worse. Is this warranty-able?

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,255 Posts
Hi Everyone, New to the forum. Signed up because I recently purchased a used Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT. The car has 22k miles and is exhibiting a very similar vibration. I purchased it from a Honda dealership and am concerned that this first gear vibration is due to the previous owners/ test drives being pretty rough. The gear feels worn or bitten as it oscillates with speed. When the clutch is pressed in the vibration goes away. This was not evident during my test drive before purchase.

Did the OP ever get to a conclusion? the car is 2 days old to me and don't want it to get any worse. Is this warranty-able?
Absolutely.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have noticed a slight vibration, if pushing the shifter forward while pulling off in first, but if I’m just resting my hand on the shifter it’s smooth. Are y’all putting pressure on the shifter when feeling the vibration?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't have that issue with my 2019. Maybe have your Honda dealer take a look? Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Are y’all putting pressure on the shifter when feeling the vibration?
This is a key question I think... The shift linkage is designed to limit vibration but if you push forward or left/right while in gear, you'll probably feel something. If you are gently resting your hand on the shifter, there should be little vibration by design.

Here is an interesting article about how a Shelby GT350's shifter is designed to limit vibration whereas a Viper is designed to be more direct at the expense of vibration. On the Stick: Here's What Makes a Great Manual Transmission

If you have a lot of vibration in the shifter without putting pressure on it, I think this would indicate an issue with the linkage rather than a problem with the actual transmission.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks guys, I've driven my share of stick-shift cars and never felt this before considering its "newish". To replicate the symptom you'd have to be resting your hand on the shifter with it leaning forward. I've also noticed its intermittent too, not always present. If I press the clutch in, the rhythm goes away, so it leads me to believe it's in the driveline. I wish I was able to test drive a new one to have a better base point. My mind is jumping to conclusions and today it felt like everything was wrong with the thing. LOL. #newcarsymptoms

funny thing is: On the Carfax report it stated 3 tires were changed recently before placing for sale. Initially felt it was a pretty sweet deal with new tires, but now I think its because they were all evidence of the previous owners abuse. Go figure. Makes more sense than 3 free tires imo.

I opted in for an extended service contract when the vehicle was purchased so i'll be trying to get it fixed under that.

Does anyone else feel the shifts are notchy too? Not much info or reviews out there :/

OP any updates on what you found? I'm headed down this rabbit hole too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts