Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a turbo blanket on their Accord? I've been searching, but haven't found any options.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Git-r-doug are the performance increases worth the price tag on a turbo blanket? Or is this used to preserve the longevity of the vehicle?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. Are you referring to the Type-r blanket?

Git-r-doug are the performance increases worth the price tag on a turbo blanket? Or is this used to preserve the longevity of the vehicle?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
I am considering this for longevity. My engine bay stays really hot for hours after normal operation. Much more so than I have experienced in other vehicles. I'm assuming that this is residual heat from the tubro. I agree that they are very expensive.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here's some cheap blankets. Anybody know what turbo the 2.0 has?

$40-$70 on Amazon depending on size.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That will not work since turbo is small and you wont be able wrap it completly around since turbo bolts directly to head. You need ptp PN# FPRO35-128-01
Noticed that after I posted. The hot side is not like a regular turbo snail. Does the 1.5 have the same hot side as the 2.0? That number is listed as being for a 1.5.

They list one for the Civic Type-R too. Could't find anything specifically for the 2.0 in the Accord.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Noticed that after I posted. The hot side is not like a regular turbo snail. Does the 1.5 have the same hot side as the 2.0? That number is listed as being for a 1.5.

They list one for the Civic Type-R too. Could't find anything specifically for the 2.0 in the Accord.
Looking for the same answer

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Engineering Explained/Humble Mechanic

demonstrated (and used 3rd party papers) to positively show that there is a performance increase using blankets. They did not look into lifecycle benefits but they do look at hotspots and particular engine areas. I'd assume it would help some as it would allow the rest of the engine bay to cool some while heat leaked from the turbo more slowly. ie, spread out the heat pulse over time. If that contributes to the life of the engine, then plausible. They were developed, however, to improve performance. And they do.

Point of caution: the outside surface of the turbine housing was increased by 149°C. (This was not their observation but from an independent paper that they quote). So you have to consider whether a "hot turbine" is a good thing from a parts wear POV...). That said, the oil temperature leaving the turbocharger was pretty much unchanged. So the bearings aren't suffering it seems...

Most of the benefits were during acceleration (if you were looking for a stunner ... well, move along).

If it could be shown that they benefit fuel economy, I'd consider them. At my "drive-home-to-beer" speed of 120 km/hr the engine (1.5) is always under some boost so I'd assume it would help save some fuel if they're "keeping energy in the system". Is it worth it for that?

Final note, it's not clear how the turbo-blanket might "play" with the electrically controlled wastegate on the Honda 10th gens. I'd assume no issue, but ...

[Edits: clarity and typo].

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
What I would be careful with is these small turbos heat up and spool up fast, its good to see outlet oil temps not changed but still the turbine housing is getting hotter and longer cool down. How much it effects a lifetime of the part would be hard to predict w/o tests but things to worry about are cracks in the housing.
This tends to happen from the exhaust outlet to the internal wastegate outlet in the housing, just something to think about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts