Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am hoping you are able to guide me in the right direction with a problem I am not able to diagnose.
I'm dealing with a 1999 4 door Accord EX with a thans concern. Teh vehicle has 241 K on it and we replaced the transmission with a JDM recently. The reason for replacing the unit was initiall the wife told me she was having an intermittent problem with the car. Every time I drove it I was not able to duplicate until it became worse then it felt as if the vehicle was low on fluid, it would go into what seemed like neutral then bang into gear after about a 2-3 second stop. Checked the fluin and it was dark but full. Did a D&F with no improvement.

We decided to replace the engine and trans as an assembly due to the mileage with a JDM unit. Well, the problem was exactly the same. EXACTLY, no better and no worse. I hooked up the scanned and the shift would happen right when the shift solenoid would engage after coming to a stop. Rechecked powers and grounds, comparing to a pin voltage chart and did not find anything irregular. The harness was oil soaked and poor shape so I replaced the harness with a used assembly and no improvement. Nothing as far as the PID's viewed with the scanned was out of range so I shotgunned the next, in my opinion, logical item, the PCM. Nope.
I brought it to a local transmission shop with a good reputation and they diagnosed it as a poor transmission. I did tell them my tales of woes and they doubled down on the trans being bad but gave me a $2700.00 estimate. I got a different JDM unit and the problem is identical. Super glad we did not drop 2700 into in. My son really likes the car and can not believe I have 3 units with the same exact issue.

Any help is much appreciated and will make a very happy 16 year old.
We have owned the vehicle since 33K and have always kept up on the maintenance

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
If I understand this, you swapped another "unit" in to make it number 3? Do you mean a third transmission AND engine (the second JDM combo) was put in the car and same results?

What auxiliary parts are you transferring from one unit to the next? Please be specific as far as the transmission and engine computers, and even air intakes/exhaust systems. Are you sure your exhaust isn't clogged?

·
Elvira
3,587 Posts
What exactly, and I mean exactly, did you keep? ECU, cables, radiator, etc
Did you keep ANYTHING off the original engine/trans to use on the new one?

Oops Ricks got it.

EDIT: anyway I asked about the radiator since the cooler goes through the radiator. I think that is true. Someone check me on that.

If it is inthe radiator a clogged trans fluid line will restrict the flow of trans fluid and not allow pressure to build like it should. Lack of pressure CAN cause slippage of the trans and not allow it to keep in the gear it should.

Reactions: RickBlaine

·
Kaua‘i North Shore Boi.Aloha❤️🤙💪😊
193 Posts
Make sure You check all Your transmission solenoid screens. Especially the torque converter/shift solenoid A solenoid screens (front and center in engine below coolant return hose). They seem to jam up first. Good luck.
Aloha❤??????
Text Diagram Line art Line Font

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,957 Posts
Why do you keep putting JDM parts into your USDM car? That is probably the root of the issues you're having with these transmissions. Try having a USDM Honda transmission installed instead of whatever you're using now.

Well, actually, now that you have a JDM engine as well (why though?), that may not be the case. I'm completely confused as to why you'd do this in the first place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What exactly, and I mean exactly, did you keep? ECU, cables, radiator, etc
Did you keep ANYTHING off the original engine/trans to use on the new one?

Oops Ricks got it.

EDIT: anyway I asked about the radiator since the cooler goes through the radiator. I think that is true. Someone check me on that.

If it is in the radiator a clogged trans fluid line will restrict the flow of trans fluid and not allow pressure to build like it should. Lack of pressure CAN cause slippage of the trans and not allow it to keep in the gear it should.
I swapped everything over to the newer unit(s). The engine was stripped down to the block and the trans sensors were exchanged as well. I did swap the shift solenoids and checked the filters (screens) at that time. The only time there is an issue is when coming to a stop and when shifting from park to a gear. If I disconnect the TCC solenoid connector it will go right into gear but of course it is in limp mode. There is something delaying the torque converter solenoid activation. I just cant determine what it is...

·
Elvira
3,587 Posts
I swapped everything over to the newer unit(s). The engine was stripped down to the block and the trans sensors were exchanged as well. I did swap the shift solenoids and checked the filters (screens) at that time. The only time there is an issue is when coming to a stop and when shifting from park to a gear. If I disconnect the TCC solenoid connector it will go right into gear but of course it is in limp mode. There is something delaying the torque converter solenoid activation. I just cant determine what it is...
Now take what I say with a thought that I am surmising.

If you are going from a US trans and use the US solenoids and putting it on a JDM there are going to be possible problems.

The transmission range sensor/solenoid (the one on the side of the trans attached to the shifter) from a US trans will not work on a JDM. There's something a little different with them.

There are a few threads here about that exact problem here on DA.

Reactions: enne

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,957 Posts
The transmission range sensor/solenoid (the one on the side of the trans attached to the shifter) from a US trans will not work on a JDM. There's something a little different with them.
The thick plottens!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts