Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally decided to tackle my daughter's Accord's slow leak. The passenger side of the engine is a mess, with oil being carried around by the belt. I plan on washing the engine with some degreaser but taking a wild stab in the dark, I'm guessing it's the crank pulley seal that's leaking.

I called up the dealer and was told I would need the seal and the o-ring. Question is, I know what the seal is for, but where does the o-ring go? Anyone changed these out? I know pulling the pulley bolt is going to be a bit*h.

....Drew...

·
Registered
288 Posts
That is not a job I would go in replacing parts that can be a nightmare of a job without the proper tools. Crank seals do not commonly fail but can.. O-rings are behind the oil pump. I would clean the engine well and add a dye to find the leak first.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Did the dealer give you a part number?
He gave me 91212-PNC-004 for the pulley seal, but he was seeming rushed, so I didn't ask for the o-ring part number.

That is not a job I would go in replacing parts that can be a nightmare of a job without the proper tools. Crank seals do not commonly fail but can.. O-rings are behind the oil pump. I would clean the engine well and add a dye to find the leak first.
Oh, I plan on washing it down and running it. If it's emanating from behind the pulley, I think I should be able to see it. I have impact but need to get that thick Lisle socket, but again, first things first.

This guy said nothing about an o-ring....

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
There is only the crankshaft seal, the o-ring is on the inside of the timing cover. You only need it if you are removing the cover. The part number of the o-ring is 91302-PNA-004. The part #6.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is only the crankshaft seal, the o-ring is on the inside of the timing cover. You only need it if you are removing the cover. The part number of the o-ring is 91302-PNA-004. The part #6.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Got it. Thanks for clearing that up.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
This part is also known as the "front main seal". In contrast to the "rear main seal" between the engine and transmission.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I'm guessing it's time to start using high mileage oil. You and me both

·
Super Moderator
6,795 Posts
Get the Lisle socket, I'm surprised you don't have it. You can take the crank pulley bolt off using a lower rating impact with that socket because the socket allows for lower torque loss from the gun. I also use a Lisle seal remover (see link below). To install it, I used a combination of some PVC pipe approximately matched to the outer diameter size of the crank seal and the bolt to install it nice and square, lube inside and outside of the seal with some grease first so it doesn't roll when it's moving in.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Advise your daughter to take that Accord back to whom she got it from and ream them a new one. This should have been taken care of long ago. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts