Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I confirmed yesterday when I changed my oil, that I have a small oil leak on the RF of the car. Which translates to the front of the engine. Might be the crank seal, or front of the oil pan. I can't really tell. How common is it to have an oil leak on the 2.4? I might have the dealer look at it and give me a price on fixing it. Can't stand oil leaks.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
i dont think oil leaks are common especially in a 2007 car. i have a 2006 with almost 99k miles and i have no leaks at all. yours is newer and probably way less miles, so something must have gone wrong, should still be under warranty, take it to dealer.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I figured. Problem is I have 47k on a '07 I bought used with no warranty. You'd think they'd at least help pay a % of the bill... that's a deffect.

·
Super Moderator
3,613 Posts
You should still have the factory 5/60 warranty. I don't think it matters who owns it, the powertrain warranty goes with the car. I'd call Honda corporate to see.

You can register for free on the owner link site for free and it should tell you. https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp

Check the back of the valve cover, on that side, I've seen quite a few leak all the way down the backside of the engine and get to the pan area.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm already registered on owner link. I'll check the valve cover. Debating some of that oil additive that lights up under a black light.

·
Registered
951 Posts
My 03 holds its oil like weed in a pothead's lungs.

Any chance it could be a loose oil filter or bolt?

·
Super Moderator
3,613 Posts
If you can add the dye, that would be a good thing to do. Clean everything before you add it though so you can see where the fresh stuff is leaking out.

·
04 4D 5MT Accord LX 152k
121 Posts
Not sure if this is the correct location but I have heard of the o-ring of the old oil filter will stick to the engine block and not come off with the oil filter and when you put on a new filter and have double o-rings it will cause a leak. Just a guess and a try. :banana:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
You should still have the factory 5/60 warranty. I don't think it matters who owns it, the powertrain warranty goes with the car. I'd call Honda corporate to see.

You can register for free on the owner link site for free and it should tell you. https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp

Check the back of the valve cover, on that side, I've seen quite a few leak all the way down the backside of the engine and get to the pan area.
sry this is a little offtopic but do i have any warranty left? for anything? i have an 06 with nearly 99k miles

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'm guessing 5/60 means five years/60,000 miles, in which case it's most likely run out. But you'll have to check your VIN to make sure.

·
2015 Civic EX and wife's 2016 CR-V Touring
45 Posts
Here's a Honda official guess from their monthly newsletters to dealers on the 2.4.

"From dealer visits, we’ve pinpointed the problem to residual oil around the oil fill hole and the oil dipstick tube. It makes a trail around the head cover, and with the engine cover in place, it looks like the head cover gasket is leaking." I've seen a slight wetness on the back side of the valve cover and traced it to this very 'problem' :)

·
Super Moderator
3,613 Posts
I've seen that service news, and I think I can remember maybe barely a handful that show oil in that manner. Usually someone has to spill oil while filling, or leave the cap loose or dipstick not seated to get it to leak all the way around the cam cover.

Most I see are dry around the front, but the back corner on the passenger's side is wet, running down the timing chain cover.

It's really easy to see, as over time dirt sticks to the oil, and when the front of the cam cover doesn't show any dirt, but the back corner has trails running all the way down to the oil pan area.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm gonna hose everything down. Dump in the oil dye and drive it around for a few days and then take it to the dealer. Sound like a plan? As for the warranty, I will check my ownerlink log in account.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Your drivetrain is definitely covered just bring it in...

·
Registered
206 Posts
My '07 had a small leak between the trans and the engine back when it had 10K miles. It took 3 trips to the dealer (a phone call to Honda USA before the third) to get it fixed. Your issue sounds like it's unrelated to mine.

They told me that they replaced the rear main seal and some other seal. 60K miles later, it's still bone dry.

Oh yeah, the first visit was when I really stopped trusting my dealer. They told me that they had driven the car 5 miles and it only had something like .2 mile more on it than when I dropped it off.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good deal guys. Good info... If anything I personally think it's a crank seal on the front of the engine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just had oil pump warranty on my 08 I4 and had the timing cover resealed for an oil leak. At least I was told it was a timing cover leak. It was warranty for me at 31900. I could see a leak behind the pullies on the lower front of the motor.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jacked it up this morning and crawled under it with the UV light. Deffinately have a leak. I was expecting it to be the crank pulley seal, I was wrong. It's the oil pan. The rear (relative to the car) of the oil pan is seeping. Very obvious when it's lighting up radioactive green. Bone dry above the oil pan line.

Now I have to see if the dealer will fix it under warranty...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have an appointment w/dealer. They did verbally confirm I have the 5yr/60k powertrain regardless of who owns the car. See what they think is causing the leak. I'm 99% sure it's the rear of the oil pan. (side of oil pan actually, some idiot installed the engine sideways).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.