Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dad noticed today that my front and back tires are different; complete with different tread and all. They are the same size but my god this is going to irritate my OCD to death.

My question is will this tread difference affect my performance in anyway? Especially with the winter coming up.

The front tires are Mirada Sport GTX P215/50R17

The back tires are Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 P215/50/R17

I am so tempted to buy new front tires to match this but I'll probably end up forcing myself to forget about it until I actually need tires. I think Carmax just threw these on when I bought it.

If I'll get better traction control with the Michelin's I'll put them up front. Thanks DA!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I'm willing to guess as long as they are in pairs, front/back it wont make much of a difference.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Will probably just notice noise difference. i would put the best tires on the front... but in all honestly having different tires in front and back bothered the heck out of me so i had to replace all 4 tires to some good new ones

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I've had the car for just over 5 months and I never noticed a thing. My thing is that I've never driven in Midwest weather conditions in a front wheel drive manual transmission car with this much power, so things make me a little nervous going into the winter. Before I had a Jeep lol.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,683 Posts
If the tires were different sizes, or even different composition, it would make a noticeable difference. If these are the only tires you've ever had on the car, what little difference the tires make, you would probably not notice. I think if you had four of the Michelins on the car, you would notice it.
I'm wondering, since the front tires have been changed, if there was an alignment problem.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the tires were different sizes, or even different composition, it would make a noticeable difference. If these are the only tires you've ever had on the car, what little difference the tires make, you would probably not notice. I think if you had four of the Michelins on the car, you would notice it.
I'm wondering, since the front tires have been changed, if there was an alignment problem.
Well if there was one thing I checked before buying it, it was that it drives straight. It definitely doesn't have an alignment issue as of right now.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the tread on both are about the same. I was just wondering if there was any difference in performance on the tread design of either tire.

·
Carpe Diem
2,565 Posts
You are fine. If you didn't notice it for 5+ months and all four have plenty of tread left, then stop worrying about it.

·
Legitimate hack
1,415 Posts
+1 to what Ike said. Also, I can't remember if the Michelins you have in the rear are the same Michelins that came from factory (its been awhile since I've had stock). If they are, they aren't known to be the best performing tire in anything worse than a light drizzle of rain. One more thing, if you have two different tires in the front, its very likely the PO didn't rotate their tires very often, if at all and that's why Carmax threw those on.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
ikethegreat is correct, stop worrying.

As for "best pair of tires on front vs. rear" for a front wheel drive car, PLEASE read this from Tire Rack:

"When tires are replaced in pairs in situations like these, the new tires should always be installed on the rear axle and the partially worn tires moved to the front. New tires on the rear axle help the driver more easily maintain control on wet roads since deeper treaded tires are better at resisting hydroplaning."

Source:
...about front vs. rear:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52

and
...about mixing different tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=136

In my experience, I have NEVER had a set of four tires last me their whole life evenly. I will get a flat (destroyed) tire after 25,000 miles, and will have to purchase two new tires for the rear, selling the still good but used tire on Craigslist to recoup a few bucks.

EDIT:...and crackerteg is correct, but the previous owner may have gotten a flat on one tire, and just bought a pair to solve the problem.
....and crkdslider: Don't overthink or misinterpret what Tire Rack says about having exact tires- that is marketing. All four of your tires are good tires. And post more pics with your ride next to those sleek planes. It sure beats the photos I take of my car in the parking lot in front of the local 7-11 as I struggle to keep gang members out of the picture as they contemplate jacking my car.

·
Banned
72 Posts
OP: Think this through for a second, you have to have the same tires in pairs only not all four and here is the thinking and it makes sense:

Tires tread patters are primarily for two things:
1. Grip for the road
2. removing water or snow when rubber makes contact with road

You still have 4 tires with the same tire depth so any perf difference is neglible and only impact the above two factors scondarily:
1. Secondarily, your front pair will perform per its strengths(patterns, compound, design etc) and the back pair to theirs but what you are concerned about is only to a secondary or ancillary degree/level not primary. So say you are in some rain, well the fronts will hit a puddle of water first and so say those tires perform better in the rain, they will evacuate the water and say the backs don't so you will be slowed a bit but this is negligible and you will barely notice it. In other words, this is not that big of an issue at all. As long as they are the same tread depth and not something like summer tires up front and winter tires in the back, you will not notice anything nor will there be any performance issue. Even if you did have winter tires as one pair and summer as another pair for the rears, you would only notice *that* in the winter in many, many inches of snow.

you will not notice by the seat of your pants nor will they misperform to any degree that is related to safety because they all have the same tire depth.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You are always supposed to have the better tires in the rear. If you lose traction in the rear you are going to spin, If you lose traction in the front you can correct it.
I agree. With a front wheel drive car you put the better tires on the back. There is less weight back there and that end will want to spin around to the front with if it has worn tires. On the front it is ok to have the tires with less tread. The weight of the engine will keep them planted more. There are many articles on this recommendation.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everybody for the responses. I'm not as worried about it anymore. I'm gonna leave the Michelin's in the back mainly because:

1. The tread is the same on both.
2. I've never heard of Mirada.

I'll need to forget about this so my OCD doesn't make me go spend unnecessary money ha!

Now, my coworker (who drives a Jeep) mentioned to me about getting my tires siped. I'd never heard of tire siping until he had brought that up. There's no way that can be good for my performance driving? I can see it helping in the winter absolutely, but when I want to take a corner...

Anyone here have siped tires that can throw some feedback in this thread while it's getting some attention?

Sent from my LGoogle Nexus 5.

·
Legitimate hack
1,415 Posts
I've never heard of the procedure, tbh.

Slightly OT, damn you for having a hammerhead.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've never heard of the procedure, tbh.

Slightly OT, damn you for having a hammerhead.
If the last part of that post was for me I have no idea what that is lol.

Tire siping is where they put slits across your tread to increase the flexibility of the rubber while on slick surfaces.

http://www.discounttire.com/images/sipeDetail.gif

Rick, if I get the chance to this weekend I will. I need to get a few more shots now that I have the HFP lip on her. She NEEDS to be lowered a tad.

Sent from my LGoogle Nexus 5.

·
Legitimate hack
1,415 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
lol wut
436 Posts
Sounds really mickey mouse to me.. I would just pick up a set of steelies and throw some snow tires on them so you can use them over the years during the winter time and just swap back to your normal wheels when there isn't snow.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts