Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to use this thread to document my approach to purchasing my '15 Touring and hopefully get suggestions from the da.net community.

Up here in the Seattle/Tacoma area.
I'm giving myself a 2 hour driving radius for pricing and don't mind driving that 2 hours if a local dealer won't price match.

I have no problem walking away as this is more of a want purchase and not a need purchase.

*at this time* I'm looking at having 3 OEM options installed by the dealer - (notice I didn't say "purchase" unless they can beat the online dealer's prices) remote start, trunk wing and back up camera.

The other body kit options I'm planning on buying and installing myself.

Test drove Touring at local dealer. I would like to go back and get a nice run with the vehicle to check wind noise at freeway speeds.

All communication except for test drive (duh) have been online.

I've made pricing inquiries via truecar, costco, and AmEx. (ALL have come in at the same price)

I have had price quotes from two dealers. Both < $30k. The other dealers are telling me to "just let me know when you are ready and I will do whatever I can to help you."

I'm unclear as to when to start emailing asking if they can "beat this price?" Most vehicle quotes are good for up to three days if I read the small print correct.

I'm pretty set on Crystal Black Pearl. Using dealership webpages it looks like there are 4 CBPs in the local area, but I do understand they can bring in from out of area if needed.

I'm also planning on having the vehicle financed through my credit union so there will be no need to use the dealership's finance person.

I plan on buying Honda Care if the dealer can match the prices that have been discussed here. If they can't/won't match or come close I'll buy HC online.

What are your thoughts/suggestions?

Should I send emails out asking for pricing now and telling them I'm buying my new vehicle on or around June 12th? (REALLY wish I could have been purchasing this weekend - end of the month)

I also plan on letting them know I am NOT interested in paying for any accessory that I'm not already asking for. "Dealer prep" "NW package" "paint protection" can all be removed or thrown into the purchase price.

I will ask for pricing for the vehicle itself. Before tax. lisc, ect. I can't really do anything about destination, taxes, lisc. and so forth.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Why wait two weeks? It's the end of the month and the perfect time to pounce if you can find the exact car you want. You can probably negotiate a much better deal this weekend than you could in two weeks since it'll be the beginning of a new month.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
If you can wait 2 more months until the 2016 Accords come out, then you should. 2015 Accords will be on clearance and you have the option of purchasing a 2016, better resale value than a 2015 Accord of the same year.

P.S. All Accords (LX to Touring) have back-up camera as standard equipment. There's no need to purchase. All EX and up Accords have LaneWatch (side-view) camera as well.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why wait two weeks? It's the end of the month and the perfect time to pounce if you can find the exact car you want. You can probably negotiate a much better deal this weekend than you could in two weeks since it'll be the beginning of a new month.
If you can wait 2 more months until the 2016 Accords come out, then you should. 2015 Accords will be on clearance and you have the option of purchasing a 2016, better resale value than a 2015 Accord of the same year.
The funds for the vehicle will not be available for another 2 weeks.

Yea I can wait. But then the chances are better that the color I'm interested in could be limited to the point of having to choose another color.

P.S. All Accords (LX to Touring) have back-up camera as standard equipment. There's no need to purchase. All EX and up Accords have LaneWatch (side-view) camera as well.
Yea you're right. *slaps forehead* thanks.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Looks like you have done your homework. Check this forum and the Edmunds Forums to see what people actually pay. You should be able to do much better than the True Car numbers. Either wait until the 2016's come out or pounce at the end of the month. Only go through internet department and contact several dealers and tell them what you are willing to pay. Be specific and state that I am willing to pay X plus tax and tags. This X number also includes destination charges. Reference that you will not pay for any other items like advertising, dealer prep, etc. You will see who means business and when you go in let's hope that they honor what they say. Pay attention to the invoice for all of the line items to make sure that they don't throw anything else in. If they do cross them off and if they give you a hard time walk out.

The one thing I am curious about is if the 2016 Touring will get the all of the Honda Sensing features that are on the CRV Touring which was a mid model refresh. IMO, that technology could save lives especially on the highway.

Check out Sacucci Honda for Honda Care. There are 1 or 2 more out there I have used Sacucci 4 times now and it's easy.

I usually deal with high volume dealers who "sell the volume" who basically just move metal for a smaller margin. They should also be able to do a dealer locate for you should they not have the car. If color becomes an issue you may have to be flexible.

I would leave the accessories as a separate negotiation.

Please let us know how you make out when you buy.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Ice and 14

I will definitely update this thread when I have more info. No off to look at those '16 pictures again.

thanks!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
In my recent experience, what you have via email is what you got to go with. Over here, most would not discuss pricing over the phone. They want to get you into the dealership, cause once you're in if they don't close you there, they don't assume you'll be back.

As long as you have it in writing they they will match or beat whatever you have. Dealership i went with was based on beating the lowest offer i got and location is close to my job if i have any problems, i can just drop it off to them.

Back up camera is standard on all model even the LX (if i'm correct) so not sure thats really a plus and would even count that IMO. Best of luck with your purchase

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
To the OP, depends how much time you want to spend on this. You can most definitely negotiate over the phone and email. Some dealers insist you come in - so be it, cross them off your list.

We got our best deal from a dealer ~75 miles out (a bit over an hour away). Well worth the drive, we got a better deal and saved on 1% on sales tax too. Ymmv

·
Registered
491 Posts
I emailed every Honda dealer in my area and told them I wanted price quotes with OTD prices and list every fee and accessory etc. Everyone responded and most were around the same price except for the largest one. They had the best price by far AND wanted to get rid of the only LX 6 speed they had in the color I wanted. I originally wanted a Sport but could only find them in black and I don't do black cars. So the only MSM color in Atlanta that was a 6spd was and LX. No way was I gong for a CVT and only wanted one color.

It took 45 minutes to do the paperwork and I was out the door. I traded my 2013 Jeep Wrangler and had enough equity to get the Accord with no payments!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To the OP, depends how much time you want to spend on this. You can most definitely negotiate over the phone and email. Some dealers insist you come in - so be it, cross them off your list.

We got our best deal from a dealer ~75 miles out (a bit over an hour away). Well worth the drive, we got a better deal and saved on 1% on sales tax too. Ymmv
thanks. Its not a "must" buy for me but an upgrade over the vehicle I'm currently driving.

the funds I have allocated for the purchase will be released in two weeks, so thats when I can buy if I decide to. I can always wait, but we all know waiting is no fun, and I'm not sure just how much it will save me? $1000.00 ? $2500.00?

I received an email this morning from the internet sales Mgr. at a dealership 1.5 hours away telling me to "Tell me what it is going to take to buy that vehicle from me."

So with that I might drop a low ball offer to see what they come back with.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Don't think you'll save $1000 - $2500, but there may be as much as $500-600 in difference between some of the dealers. Come to think of it, the lowest offer we got on the exl vs the highest (4 cyl), was probably $9xx, give or take.

If you won't have the funds until mid june, then wait til the jul 4th weekend to do the sale. There might be a better deal to be had.

If there's nothing wrong with your current car, why upgrade?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If there's nothing wrong with your current car, why upgrade?
1995 Acura Legend. Nothing "wrong" with it, its my daily driver and only has 87k miles on it.

I would like a new vehicle so that I can drive and have spare parts for this one for quite awhile, as Legend parts are being discontinued every day and are becoming harder and harder to find.

Besides my original thought was to buy a new vehicle and have it paid off in 5 years when it will be close to getting all my ducks in a row to figure out retirement. (one less thing to worry about if the car is paid in full)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Honda financing is at 0.9% I believe. That has to be better then what your credit union offers. I've heard that you can pre approve through honda's website. I'd consider doing that so you don't have that B.S. to do in the showroom.

I'm curious what sort of quotes you get back.

2hrs away? You are in Puyallup right? That should get you up to Everett at least. I've talked with Burien Honda (Shaheen Saliman) and have a feel good feeling with them (worthless I know!) he talked me out of paying to have a car certified. Capital City Honda has listed the highest prices that I've seen. Honda of Seattle seems to have the best listed prices on a consistent basis.

I'd be sure to ask for prices from pretty much anyone in the puget sound area even if you wouldn't drive there. You could always use that as a negotiation with another dealer.

As for waiting, Black is a pretty common color. So yeah... you might not get it but odds are they are around. Or... same price on the 2016 considering that your car will be a year old probably at the end of august (2 month appreciation hit) it might be worth waiting as the others have noted.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Wait for the 2016 Accord. You said it tyourself, this is a WANT, not a need. You'll be kicking yourself once you get the 2015 touring and the 2016's come out, especially since they'll have those nice wheels. Also, the new Accords might be bringing Apple Car play installed as a standard option on the higher trims like the touring. What this means is that the car will have better integration with an iPhone.

·
Blinded by the light
1,754 Posts
I'd wait to see the changes they announce with the 2016 Accord. We should be hearing and seeing them very soon! If you don't like the changes, you might be able to snag a 2015 up for even cheaper.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I've been burned several times in years past buying first MY vehicles. As I understand it, 2016 will make some changes to the 6 cyl variant. Personally I'd be either buying the '15 (which is what we did a month ago) or holding off for a few more years until the bugs are worked out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've been burned several times in years past buying first MY vehicles. As I understand it, 2016 will make some changes to the 6 cyl variant. Personally I'd be either buying the '15 (which is what we did a month ago) or holding off for a few more years until the bugs are worked out.
I'm not real familiar with Honda generally mid cycle changes are more cosmetic (gauges, bumpers, headlights etc...) vs major (engine changes, new transmissions etc...) Its still common advice to skip the first year. I'm not as concerned about a 2016 (my expected new front) vs a 2013 (whole new design) though.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
^^Totally agree if it's just cosmetic changes. From what I recall hearing, the 6 cyl model will get a GDI with a 9 spd auto. I believe it was from one of the links on here about a spotted '16.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts