13K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  silverone 
#1 ·
Hey guys :wave:

Im new to the whole modifying thing so any help is much appreciated :yes:

I have a white 09 coupe EX-L V6
I'm going to put 20" rims on it but I've heard the gap will be huge,
So since I still have my warranty going I decided to put on the HFP suspension
So I have a few questions:

1. Is the HFP suspension a permanent solution (like coil overs) or is it a temporary solution (like Springs)?

2. Will the drop (I think its 1inch all around) be enough to make 20" rims look good and not like a mini 4x4?

3. I live in Canada so I'm planing on driving this in the winter, and I have 17" winter wheels so am I going to have any trouble there?

4. Will this set up damage my car in anyway in the long run (like 5 years)

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
The drop with the HFP suspension and the 20s should look good. I have the same suspension plus 19s and I love how it looks plus it's high enough to get me through the winter on the stock 17s. Mine is a sedan and I get about a 1/2" drop more than the coupe after the suspension settles

#6 ·
HFP with 20" wheels on my sedan:

Drop is just right for me since I too face winters. The HFP is a Honda part and wouldn't have impacted warranty btw.

#8 ·
He sedan is only marginally heavier so expect a 1.25+ inch drop. Odo/speedometer will not be impacted if you maintain factory aspect. Again, the HFP is a Honda manufactured and sold product designed for our cars. I would expect no negatives apart from increased vibration.

#9 ·
the downside vs coil is you can't adjust the dampening or the height....both of which you can do with coil overs...I don't like slammed but don't care for the HFP height wihic is expensive for the moderate drop...see my pic below for the stock megan height right out of the box - no adjusting...I have since gone up a 1/4inch in the front and dropped 1/2 in the back...all in my driveway with no skill to it...I have absolutley no vibration and no harsh ride - rides as nice as stock...

the only thing I can see as an advantage of the HFP is the warranty and I'm not concerned about that....

#13 ·
+1 warranty doesn't matter as long as you don't do anything stupid.there should be no issues..

i had hfp for a short time...if i could do it over again, would've gone teins

#11 ·
coils do not affect anything but the suspension.no warranty is affected. if oyu mess with suspension, it does not affect other parts of the car....you don't "blow" your warranty by installing coils...coils carry thier own warranty so it's all the same...

#14 ·
OP, since you are new at this, do read up posts about offsets to make sure you get yourself wheels that will fit your car. Also, you will probably need a camber kit; my alignment would not come back into spec even though the HFP kit is specifically designed for the V6 coupe. Go figure!

#16 ·
hey i have a 12 coupe 4cyl. and wanted to drop it. has anyone used the hfp suspension on a 4cyl. mine is a stick. :wave: the parts say 6cyl only. is ths true
True that the parts are specific to the 6 cylinder, but I have read posts from 4 cylinder folks who have successfully used the HFP on their cars.

#17 ·
it will fit but the drop will likely be minor since the i4 has less weight than the v6.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
thanks for the info, your ride looks sick.

I still really don't understand the reason for HFP. I had two friends come over this weekend and all three of us came up with different views of my car and where the coil should be adjusted to be "perfect". When you can get that infinite adjustability I don't understand the reason why people want it when it has just the one single fixed setting. And warranty is not an issue in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not dissing the people that have HFP, I just don't understand for the same money , why you would'nt want more options avail to you.
thats why i am asking. i would prefer to use eibach prokit, but dont look forward to replacing stock struts and shocks down the road. thanks for the input though.

#18 ·
I still really don't understand the reason for HFP. I had two friends come over this weekend and all three of us came up with different views of my car and where the coil should be adjusted to be "perfect". When you can get that infinite adjustability I don't understand the reason why people want it when it has just the one single fixed setting. And warranty is not an issue in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not dissing the people that have HFP, I just don't understand for the same money , why you would'nt want more options avail to you.

#20 ·
I'm not sure if this is right or wrong and correct me if I am.

But I read somewhere that coilovers need to be replaced every 50,000 kilometres while the HFP suspension is premamanent and will last the life of your vehicle. Also for me since the HFP has a HONDA warranty my dealership wont ask any questions if I need to do anything.

#23 ·
^^ yes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.