Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to help my cousin with her issues. It was having starting issues, so I tried to recondition the battery (6 years old). The battery was a lost cause, so I just replaced it. The car appeared fine. Then, problems returned:
-Attempt to start was just met with a single click (is there a "firewall"/primary solenoid?). Try to start it again & it started normally.
-Noticed one morning that the headlights randomly turned on and off. When I first saw it happen, I checked the headlight switch on the column. It was off. I turned it on and then off, and the lights turned off.
-Buzzing: While the headlights were displaying the strange behaviour, I noticed a "buzzing" noise by/in the (engine) fuse box. Don't know if it is important: The fuse box seems to be missing the fuse for the headlight dimmer (there are even no "contacts" down in the female fuse receptacle ...so if you put ia fuse it there, it won't stay or contact anything). The buzzing, it is not all the time, nor is it very loud. It must be a bad sign -this is when the car is completely off!

I tried to follow the excellent video by EricTheCarGuy about parasitic drain. I saw 800mA, then 200mA, and then near zero (after a few seconds). I have a cheap multitester, so I do not know if that is even possible or real.

What steps should I take?

·
Bout it, Bout it
804 Posts
Make sure your battery terminals are tight and free of corrosion. Same thing with the body grounds.

I'm not sure about the fuse issue so I'll defer to the more knowledgeable folks on this.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps I asked a bit too much at once. We can start one snippet at a time:
1. Is there a "firewall"/primary solenoid?

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,647 Posts
I'm not familiar with a "firewall" solenoid... But I'm not an expert. Here's a link to the 1998-2002 Accord factory service manual. That way you can look at the wiring diagrams and see if what you're thinking of is actually there or not. Hopefully it will help you troubleshoot this problem.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
This really does sound like an an electrical issue, as with most electrical issues you need to make sure the battery connections are solid. That means the connection's at the battery are clean and tight. The ground connection to the body is also clean and tight. You then need to check the engine to the body ground and the transmission to body ground are clean and tight as well.

The battery needs to be fully charged, it should be reading around 12.6 or better sitting overnight.

There are lots of relays in the car, if you here them chattering I suspect an intermittent connections to the power source (battery). The headlights are controlled by the MICU on the driver's side fuse box. Again the MICU is dependent on consistent power. They are suceptible interference from electrical things like cheap phone chargers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Also, there is a solenoid on the starter itself that controls current to the starter motor. They have been known to go bad. There are excellent write-ups on how to rebuild that starter. As far as an expert on here @enne is one of them, she owns a 6th gen.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, very rude.. I lol'd when I read that. She has a 'haunted' car, gave vague advice, and expected not to search for the problem. I'm gonna find a pic to post how I feel about that. Haha And, Aloha everybody! I'm still a newbie on the site, but I've had a 99 Accord LX Sedan 2.3l, which I've nicknamed "the Beast", for almost a year and a half now. And I've done basically EVERYTHING you can do in the engine compartment. I swear, I fix one thing, next something totally unrelated pops up. For example, adjusted the alternator and power steering belts yesterday. Today the climate control lights were ALL on. Before I even got in the car. Checked all fuses (pulling passenger 13 made them go off of course), and hooked my heater temperature cable back on. It's been off for awhile. Getting to the under dash one is a (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO SWEARING)! Anyway, before that was replace VTEC Spool, then my rear speakers stopped working. New spool, new speakers, all g. Considering the first time I changed the ATF after I got it, it looked like Black coffee and smelled burnt to (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO SWEARING), it's a miracle I SAVED IT! Luckily (I guess?), 17 years ago I owned a '92 Acura "Lemon".. Haha Integra. It was a 3 banger.. I bought it for $3k, sold it to a friend's for $250. Oh, young and dumb. Anyway, just saying Aloha. Hope everybody doing well, and hope this (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO DEGRADING NAME CALLING) took it to an 'expert' and paid a huge amount of money to exercise the demons!
Aloha ❤🤙💪💪💪💪😊❤

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited by Moderator)
This really does sound like an an electrical issue, as with most electrical issues you need to make sure the battery connections are solid. That means the connection's at the battery are clean and tight. The ground connection to the body is also clean and tight. You then need to check the engine to the body ground and the transmission to body ground are clean and tight as well.

The battery needs to be fully charged, it should be reading around 12.6 or better sitting overnight.

There are lots of relays in the car, if you here them chattering I suspect an intermittent connections to the power source (battery). The headlights are controlled by the MICU on the driver's side fuse box. Again the MICU is dependent on consistent power. They are suceptible interference from electrical things like cheap phone chargers.

Cheers. Good advice. I believe that I finally tracked down the issue: It seemed to be (quite a bit of) moisture in the relay/fuse box. How it got there, I could not determine.

-

To Cruizakhimo & enne: (REMOVED BY MODERATOR)

MODERATOR EDIT:
@nancy28 You may want to find another forum. When someone posts the Factory Service Manual for you and you reply as you have, I will tell you this forum is not a good fit for you.

Good luck elsewhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh, look. I made her reply. Hope it gets resolved. And you have some doggie breath mints. Aloha. 🤔

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oops. Sorry about the language moderator.. Aloha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts