Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure there is a thread about this already but i wanted to get some ideas on where to start with this problem. I have an accord that has just thrown a check engine light which read a p0505 idle air control.. when i looked under the air intake and where the idle air control valve is located i noticed that it seemed like there was a small pool of coolant. If any one has ideas where to start let me know.

·
Bout it, Bout it
737 Posts
The IACV has coolant hoses going into it to prevent icing. The hoses or clamps could be bad, causing the leak.

Are you having any idle issues?

·
Registered
3 Posts
it sounds like the idle is a little out of wack but not too bad rpm stay within range. however, the check engine light is on and i need to get it cleared. it doesn't leak a lot of coolant but enough to be concerned about. should i try and replace the iac or would the leaking coolant be enough to make it code out ?

one of the short rubber hoses is cracked that leads under the air intake that runs into the idle control valve. I have never worked on these cars before but if i take the hose apart at the idle control how much coolant would I expect to have drain out ?

·
Registered
449 Posts
In addition to checking the coolant hose, you may want to remove and clean your IAC valve of carbon deposit, particularly if you are getting the P0505 code, and change its gasket as it may possibly be leaking from there.

I'm not sure if you have a 4 or 6 cylinder, but here's a quick and dirty video on cleaning the valve (as well as showing the three hole gasket that may be a source of a leak for you):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glqULnoW5Ac

·
Super Moderator
4,630 Posts
Replace the problem hoses for sure. Replace the gasket as mentioned, then clean the IAC valve. Drive the car for approximatley 50 miles to clear the code (if not done by a code scanner). If cleaning doesn't resolve the issue, replace the IAC valve all together and drive the car again.

·
one wheel drive
771 Posts
One more idle thing and maybe overlooked since it's so simple is to make sure the throttle body in addition to the IACV is clean. If your throttle plate isn't closing all the way due to a rodent stuck in there or just plain dirty from duty, it can be remedied in short time. You can get to it fairly easily by taking the intake tube off. Don't let anything fall into the IACV port while wiping around the throttle plate!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts