Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, there we go. Finally. Consumer Reports today. Honda Recalls Nearly 876,000 Cars, Minivans, and SUVs to Replace Defective Airbags

Vehicles Recalled
2001-2002 Acura 3.2CL
2000-2003 Acura 3.5RL
2000-2001 Acura 3.2TL
2000-2001 Honda CR-V
2000-2001 Honda Odyssey
2001-2002 Acura MDX
2000 Accord Coupe and Accord Sedan
2000 Civic Coupe and Civic Sedan

American Honda Motor Co. is recalling 875,966 Acura and Honda vehicles to replace the front driver-side airbag. These same vehicles may have received defective Takata airbag modules as part of a vehicle repair.

The recalled airbag inflators could explode if a propellant they contain degrades after long-term exposure to high humidity or extreme temperatures, according to documents released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. This may cause slow deployment, which may result in insufficient protection by the airbag. Or there may be over-aggressive combustion, creating excessive internal pressure when the driver frontal airbag is deployed. Very high internal pressure could result in the body of the airbag inflator rupturing.

Vehicles Recalled
2001-2002 Acura 3.2CL
2000-2003 Acura 3.5RL
2000-2001 Acura 3.2TL
2000-2001 Honda CR-V
2000-2001 Honda Odyssey
2001-2002 Acura MDX
2000 Accord Coupe and Accord Sedan
2000 Civic Coupe and Civic Sedan

The problem: The airbag inflators may explode because of propellant degradation after long-term exposure to high humidity, extreme temperatures, and temperature cycling. An inflator explosion may result in sharp metal fragments striking the driver or other occupants, resulting in serious injury or death.
The fix: Dealers will replace the driver airbag inflator with an inflator of a different design when the replacement parts become available, free of charge.
How to contact the manufacturer: Honda will notify owners of the problem by mail beginning March 9, 2020. They will receive a second letter notifying them when remedy parts are available. Owners may contact American Honda's customer service at 888-234-2138.

·
Super Moderator
5,571 Posts
Not the coupes!

I'm actually excited about this! LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the 00-01s were always part of this recall?
The 2000s weren't. I believe it had started with the 02 or maybe the 01, but I had been told by Honda that the 2000 used a different inflator. Looks like those have issues too.

·
Super Moderator
5,571 Posts
One thing that I'm curious about are those who have the SRS light on, like myself. Will they have to fix the SRS light, regardless of the cause, under warranty because of the Takata airbag recall?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,882 Posts
This actually includes all 6th gen Accords, not just 00-02.

The Honda recall covers certain Honda and Acura vehicles from the 1996-2003 model years. Honda vehicles included are the 1998-2000 Accord coupe and sedan, the 1996-2000 Civic coupe and sedan, the 1997-2001 CR-V, the 1998-2001 Odyssey and the 1997-1998 EV Plus.
But if I plug my car's VIN into Honda's recall website, it says "There are no current safety recalls for this vehicle." 🤔

·
Super Moderator
5,571 Posts
Or maybe they don't keep up with it on older cars, 6GA and older?

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,882 Posts
The recall letters won't be sent out until March 9, so maybe they don't have to have the database updated until March.

·
Super Moderator
5,571 Posts
But how will Honda know who owns these cars if they haven't been to the dealership? In the 12.5yrs of ownership, I've never taken Dirty Girl to any dealership. Add to that, I'm the 3rd owner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But how will Honda know who owns these cars if they haven't been to the dealership? In the 12.5yrs of ownership, I've never taken Dirty Girl to any dealership. Add to that, I'm the 3rd owner.

You can register it on Honda Owners, Honda Owners Site | Tips, Tools & Benefits for Honda Owners which is run by Honda. While they'll inform you of any recalls, you'll also get pested with "Trade in your Honda on a new...!" junk mail, so it's a tradeoff.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
One thing that I'm curious about are those who have the SRS light on, like myself. Will they have to fix the SRS light, regardless of the cause, under warranty because of the Takata airbag recall?

I doubt it because failure of the seat belt latch sensor probably causes your SRS light and that's not included in the recall.

Check the warranty for your MY. For my '00 Coupe, they said a failed latch sensor inside the buckle was triggering my SRS light. Under the '00 warranty, that was covered for the life of the vehicle, so the end of the belt with the buckle was replaced entirely for free (parts+labor) in 2012 @ ~120K.

The warranty for my '16 Coupe specifically excludes that seat belt latch sensor but I don't know when Honda changed that provision of the warranty...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts