Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little help hear if any :/ my mechanic said its the engine that's burning the oil - he redid the the valve casket cover and resealed it he was going to look into the timing belt cover and check some seals but he said might be a waste of $$ and time . I drive 700 miles a week which might be part of this losing 3-4 quarts per month with 200k miles on it. i don't see any drips on the floor but on the top right corner on the timing belt cover (plastic) seems to be sipping oil out and also to right corner like in the picture small . the oil seems to go to the bottom right corner of the engine that's were i see more of the concentration as shown but for it to loose that much oil and see no drips on the floor its odd. is it fixable
is it internal to the engine or inside the timing belt theres also no oil on the belts or front part of the cover.:dunno:

Also want to add i cleaned the engine (power wash) to point out the oil and yes there was light oil around the whole engine before i cleaned it, once i cleaned it and tracked it majority of the oil seemed to come from by the timing belt and very light on the distribution cap

Attachments

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If its not dripping on the floor when you park it overnight, it cant be leaking much. I think your mechanic is right, the leaks are not worth fixing just to reduce the oil consumption. These engines will burn lots of oil without smoking or showing other symptoms. Stuck oil control rings on the pistons are often the cause on high mileage cars like yours.

·
4,637 Posts
Try topping off with Valvoline MaxLife High Mileage oil. Either 5w20 or 5w30 your choice. Worked for me in a 99 2.3 when it started using oil. I caught it early on though. Maybe even change the pcv valve out for a new oem one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts