Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Accord EX V6 that is close to 120K miles. I am wondering what should I expect for 120k service.

I bought the car at 97k and the previous owner did following for 90k service:
- replaced brake fluid
- replaced transmission fluid
- clean and adjust parking brake cable
- tire rotation and balance
- coolant flush
- timing belt and water pump replacement

between 97k and 120k, I have changed oil regularly every 5k and:
- replace brake fluid
- change PCV valves
- replace air filter
- cabin filter
- topped off coolant as it was running low

The local honda dealership recommends the following:
- replace transmission fluid
- replace power steering fluid
- clean throttle body valve

I do not have a lot of tools and can replace small things cabin air filters on my own. What else do you guys recommend and approx cost that I should expect?

·
Super Moderator
5,637 Posts
I'd also look into the EGR port cleaning as well on top of dealer's recommendations. You may want to replace hoses that are being disconnected during the EGR port cleaning procedure if they are brittle or otherwise failing (coolant seeping out, for example).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.
How much should i expect to pay for the spark plugs (parts and labor) and EGR port cleaning?
Should i take it a local shop or dealership?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
if it works fine just do the trans fluid. leave everything else alone.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
at very least i'd do one drain and fill. no flush. if the fluid looks very bad then do another drain and fill or two.

·
Super Moderator
5,637 Posts
Thanks.
How much should i expect to pay for the spark plugs (parts and labor) and EGR port cleaning?
Not sure about the labor part of the question as I've done all this work myself.

The spark plugs, DON'T buy them from the dealer as they'll charge you somewhere around $15/plug. Go to your local parts store ans ask specifically for NGK Iridium spark plugs for your car. That's what's in there right now and what they should be replaced with.

·
Cruising in Montana
4,090 Posts
Thanks.
Spark plugs are $12-15 or so each. I don't know how much labor is involved in either procedure as I have a 4 cylinder and labor (me) was maybe 30 minutes to do the plugs.

Take it to a place you trust.

·
Super Moderator
5,637 Posts
^^ NGK Iridiums are about $6-$8/plug if bought from anywhere that's not the dealership.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts