Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum as I purchased a 2001 Honda Accord EX 4cyl engine from my father (only owner before me) about 6 months ago. I want to give some general background about the car as well as ask some general questions and problem specific questions to help me ensure that this car can last me a good while.

Car Background
1. 94K miles
2. New Transmission, Water Pump, Timing Belt, Front & Rear brakes, Yokohama Avid TRZ installed at about 80K miles (about a year ago)
3. Have all repair records, mostly all done at Honda dealership (we aren't a very mechanically inclined family)
4. No engine modifications, no window tints, etc.

General Questions
1. Fluids...Want to know people's opinions for intervals on changing the transmission fluid, power steering fluid and brake fluid. Also, should I use the Honda fluids? My father told me that he had the power steering replaced at Valvoline a few years back. Should I get this done immediately?
2. Fuel Induction Service...My father told me the last few times he's took the car in they suggest a fuel induction service. Would like to know what this entails and if it is worth the $150 they charge. Called Honda dealership, they said they use a JB system cleaner. Local repair shop charges $130 for BG product line.

Specific Problems
1. Front End clunk/thud noise when going over potholes/dips at low speed.
2. FM radio interference/static when rear defrost is turned on. When rear defrost is turned off, everything goes back to normal.
3. Stock 6 in-dash 6 CD changer has problem reading discs. I will insert one and there is a clicking noise and then will eject the CD and give me a DISC reading on the display.
4. Plugs, wires, gaskets have yet to been replaced. Should I do these soon?
5. I have a mechanic friend that suggests that shocks/struts should be replaced soon. From what I can tell they are the original.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help. I have been a follower of this thread for since I got the car and finally decided to join the community.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info here. Don't be afraid to use the Search button.
GQ
1. I change my ATF about every 20k miles. Drain and refill 3 quarts. Might want to consider adding a Magnefine ATF filter. Search for info on that. Honda fluids are generally good, but there are better transmission ATF brands.
2. I wouldnt spend money on injector service unless you are having a problem. Maybe a $7 bottle of Techron in the gas tank once a year. The better grades of gas usually have fuel system cleaner in them already.

SP
1. Possibly sway bar bushings, but it could be various things. Have a mechanic check it out.
2. The defrost wires on the back window are damaged causing the radio noise. Radio antenna is also on the back window. Sometimes they can be repaired, but often not unless you replace the back window.
3. Generally not worth trying to fix. Replace the stereo with aftermarket or used Honda stereo. Lots on ebay.
4. Plugs are not scheduled to be replace till 104k. If it is running good dont worry about it. Im still running my original plugs and wires at 130k. Stick with NGK plugs when you do replace them.
5. Honda struts generally last the life of car, unless they are damaged by very bad roads or bad drivers.

·
AC6DN
1,550 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info here. Don't be afraid to use the Search button.
GQ
1. I change my ATF about every 20k miles. Drain and refill 3 quarts. Might want to consider adding a Magnefine ATF filter. Search for info on that. Honda fluids are generally good, but there are better transmission ATF brands.
2. I wouldnt spend money on injector service unless you are having a problem. Maybe a $7 bottle of Techron in the gas tank once a year. The better grades of gas usually have fuel system cleaner in them already.

SP
1. Possibly sway bar bushings, but it could be various things. Have a mechanic check it out.
2. The defrost wires on the back window are damaged causing the radio noise. Radio antenna is also on the back window. Sometimes they can be repaired, but often not unless you replace the back window.
3. Generally not worth trying to fix. Replace the stereo with aftermarket or used Honda stereo. Lots on ebay.
4. Plugs are not scheduled to be replace till 104k. If it is running good dont worry about it. Im still running my original plugs and wires at 130k. Stick with NGK plugs when you do replace them.
5. Honda struts generally last the life of car, unless they are damaged by very bad roads or bad drivers.
I agree, 99%..
Use the OEM recommended plugs (duel platinum or Ir/Pl). If you choose the cheap non platinum there only good for ~15-25K miles, while the good ones are good for ~100K at least.
Use NGK premium wires, not OEM.
The stereo antenna is next to the rear defroster lines, and dose receive some noise from many things, especially on AM. And especially engine off, key on.

Our transmissions require special care. Add an in-line Filer, change ATF to Synthetic, like RedLine D4, or AMSOil Univ ATF, or others that are rated for Honda Accords. Start change over, by 3-4 d/r, with the Synth ATF. There after, 15-25K miles if filter is already installed, if not at 15K or less (change filter every 30K). If you get stuck, or/and are under high load/ power, while in reverse, do 3-4 d/r (and change filter) that week or sooner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys, I did bring the car into a local repair shop to check out that front end clunk/thud I described.

He didn't find anything wrong with the bushings/sway bars/end links, etc. but he did tell me that my catalytic converter was going. He let me in the back with him to show me. He gave it a light tap and it started rattling and he said it sounded like some of the element inside had melted. How much does this cost for my Accord?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, I did bring the car into a local repair shop to check out that front end clunk/thud I described.

He didn't find anything wrong with the bushings/sway bars/end links, etc. but he did tell me that my catalytic converter was going. He let me in the back with him to show me. He gave it a light tap and it started rattling and he said it sounded like some of the element inside had melted. How much does this cost for my Accord?
Just call around some local mechanics. See what the part costs at a local autoparts store and then maybe find a mechanic from your neighborhood to put it on........What city are you in?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts