Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced the gas tank in my 2001 Accord 4cyl EX ULEV. Other than replacing all the bolts that hold the bracket and gasket around the fuel pump the change went without a hitch. Bolted everything back up and put in 3 gallons of gas and started the car but it won't stay running.

There were no fuel delivery or engine lights on prior to changing the leaking gas tank and there still aren't any - it just won't stay running once started.

Any thoughts on what to look for?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
How long does it stay running (a few seconds or minutes)?

It would seem the engine is stalling due to lack of fuel since the CEL light is not turning ON. There is no "fuel delivery" light to indicate problems in that area. First I would suggest adding a couple of more gallons of gas to the tank just to be sure the pump has adequate fuel to work with. If it still wont stay running you may need to check the connections at the fuel pump. Make sure the ground wire is securely attached. Next see if battery voltage is continously supplied to the fuel pump when the car starts. I believe that is the black/yellow wire on the 5 pin connector. If the voltage drops out just before the engine stalls then there is likely an electrical problem (main relay?). If the voltage stays on but the pump stops running you may have a fuel pump problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

The fuel pump would engage when the key was turned (you could hear it) so it wasn't the electric to the fuel delivery system since it would start and run consistently but not for very long - more than a few seconds but less than a few minutes.

After a little more research it turns out that it was the factory Honda Security system. The aftermarket remote start and key fob doesn't reset the security system like the factory key fob - which is a quick double tap of the lock button and you here the quick beep/chirp. Once the security was reset this way it is working great now. I'm sure there is likely a key sequence too but didn't get that far once this worked.

This was strange since I've changed the battery and left it off for hours when servicing other components and this was the first time this ever happened.

Learn something all the time.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Glad you found the problem.
Having all the modern car "features" is great as long as they work like they are supposed to :dunno:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts