Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Honda Accord with 152k miles and I noticed that the car had developed an oil consumption issue. I found that it used a quart of oil roughly every 1500 miles. I thought nothing of it until I looked underneath the car and noticed that I was dripping oil on the passenger side. My mechanic told me it was the rear main seal. I am considering putting in Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak into the engine. Does anybody know if the stuff works? I don't want to destroy my engine.

01 accord oil leak 5 18 2020.jpg

·
Registered
157 Posts
Any leaking seal at some point should be replaced if keeping for a long period of time. I can recommend this product though and about to put in my moms leaky car with 285k miles. Not know to over swell seals which could cause a failure. Do like Lucas but have only used their fuel treatment product.

Attachments

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,274 Posts
152K is relatively low mileage for your car. If the car is in excellent condition otherwise and you want to continue driving it for many more years, just fix the leak correctly. Remove the transmission and replace the seal. If you need to save money for the job, no big deal, just keep the oil topped off until you can get the work done.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
^Agree.
A 2001 with that mileage is a totally "drive-able" vehicle, and worth doing the job right. I'm assuming this car doesn't owe you anything at this point.
If it had 252K or 300K miles, and was a beater car, I could see your point in trying the Lucas Stop leak, but don't risk it on this low mileage 6th gen.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,997 Posts
Keep checking the oil and refilling as needed before every trip until you get the rear main seal fixed. It's really the only way to solve that problem. Putting stop leak in would only cause more problems later.

·
HK Moderator
13,923 Posts
To add to the discussion, try an oil with "High Mileage" in the title- any name brand oil (Quaker State, Pennzoil, Mobil 1, etc) because the "High Mileage" version has additives in there to "swell up" and recondition the seals- which may have lost some pliability over the decades.

A rear main seal leak of that size (1 quart of oil every 1,500 miles) usually can't be "fixed" by high mileage version of name brand oil, but it can help.

No way would Lucas stuff stop that leak- it would cause trouble.

Switch to high mileage oil, check oil level every week/every gas fill up, and NEVER let that oil get low.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2001 Honda Accord with 152k miles and I noticed that the car had developed an oil consumption issue. I found that it used a quart of oil roughly every 1500 miles. I thought nothing of it until I looked underneath the car and noticed that I was dripping oil on the passenger side. My mechanic told me it was the rear main seal. I am considering putting in Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak into the engine. Does anybody know if the stuff works? I don't want to destroy my engine.

View attachment 520780
As Blackstone Labs has stated on numerous occasions, oil is near perfect right out of the bottle. Add anything else to it and you have made it something else entirely. Blackstone Labs does oil analysis. I send my oil samples there every once in a while to make sure nothing is doing any abnormal wear. I wouldn't put Lucas in anything but a junk American V-8. You wouldn't get that crap near my Honda. Just replace the seal. Do it right the first time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: I went to another mechanic to get a second opinion and they determined that my rear main was fine, my distributer was leaking. I am getting it fixed the right way, No Lucas is being used. Thanks for the advice guys :)

·
HK Moderator
13,923 Posts
This is why I should remember to always say "clean the area with degreaser or brake cleaner, then monitor" before we accept a diagnosis as to what is leaking.

I seem to recall a dozen or so threads of 6th Gens (they still used a distributor) leaking oil at the distributor.

Can you imagine if he took it to a dishonest/idiot mechanic, and the mechanic suddenly realizes it is just a $50 "dizzy' that needs replacement? The mechanic would have cleaned the area and charged the young lad $500.

It's like a leaky roof on a house- just because the leak is in the guest bedroom does not mean that the hole in the roof is straight up....the water could travel down ceiling joists, rafters, electrical lines, vent piping, etc....

I blew this one.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
UPDATE: I went to another mechanic to get a second opinion and they determined that my rear main was fine, my distributer was leaking. I am getting it fixed the right way, No Lucas is being used. Thanks for the advice guys :)
Nice.
The value of a second opinion!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts