Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , new to these forums so Hello all!

My wife's 2001 accord V6 has an automatic climate AC system. With summer getting good and started she has run into a recurring problem that has seemed to stump all of our mechanics so I figured let you guys have at it. The AC system works wonderfully you can set the temp you want in the cabin and the system will gladly provide that temp, put it on 70, the system will crank on the compressor and increase the fan speed. As the temp in the cabin approaches the target temp, the fan will begin to decrease in speed and it will the cycle the compressor and heater to maintain that temp.

Unless its hot outside.. When the outside temp starts getting upper 80s 90s the compressor will fail to stay on, it cycles on and off constantly. every second on, off, on, off ect.

In the winter, fall, early spring or if the car is cold, you can put it on 65 and it will get very cold. But when the summer hits, or once the outside temp increases, it will begin cycling.

I had a mechanic tell me there is likely air in the system and to have a vacum pulled on it and re charged, took it to saers to have that done and the mechanic said the compressor wont hold enough pressure and needs to be changed.

I dont understand how it can work extreemly well as long as its not blazing hot outside

Any insight?

·
Clermont, FL
206 Posts
for the automatic climate system there are 2 sensors that tells the auto system what to do. i bet u have seen these sensors but never knew what they were. there is a vent on the dashboard close where u put your keys in, and in the middle of the dashboard there is a black rectangle thing by the windshield. i suspect that one or both of these sensor has some failure.

Vent sensor: reads temperature inside the cabin.
Black thing sensor(lol): reads the sun temps and how intense it is.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Possibly a bad compressor relay or bad clutch on the compressor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the temp outside could have an influence on the clutch? I just don't see how the actual compressor itself can go bad. The clutch yes, the relay sure, but could either of them be intermittent due to temps outside?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts