Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, found myself a nice V6 accord coupe in the classifieds. Went checked it out, drives smooth, and it's been maintained well. It's got 130,000 miles on it, automatic tranny, and fully loaded. In fact, I wasn't even looking for this car, but a corolla or civic.

Is this a good purchase for a student? Are these cars reliable, built to last? What are the common problems that crop up as they age? Do they need anything special, like premium fuel or synthetic motor oil?

·
Super Moderator
4,685 Posts
Hey there!

There are some common issues, and the one to watch out for is the transmission! While the engines can last a lifetime if properly maintained (EG timing belt and water pump), then this car will last you a good while.

Some of the other common issues to watch out for are:

1. EGR Port / valve clogging up
2. Window regulator failing
3. "knocking" noise from front suspension (caused by loose/bad end-link connectors and/or failed ball joints)
4. Seat belt "SRS" light being on

No premium fuel needed, synthetic motor oil not required (I personally use synthetic blend and am thinking of moving up to full synthetic oil when my car reaches to 250k miles).

Just do a 3x drain and fill on the ATF every 20k miles or so (or a 1x drain and fill every other oil change) and the transmission will be good for a much longer time compared to not having any ATF changes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey there!

There are some common issues, and the one to watch out for is the transmission! While the engines can last a lifetime if properly maintained (EG timing belt and water pump), then this car will last you a good while.

Some of the other common issues to watch out for are:

1. EGR Port / valve clogging up
2. Window regulator failing
3. "knocking" noise from front suspension (caused by loose/bad end-link connectors and/or failed ball joints)
4. Seat belt "SRS" light being on

No premium fuel needed, synthetic motor oil not required (I personally use synthetic blend and am thinking of moving up to full synthetic oil when my car reaches to 250k miles).

Just do a 3x drain and fill on the ATF every 20k miles or so (or a 1x drain and fill every other oil change) and the transmission will be good for a much longer time compared to not having any ATF changes.
Thx for you response!

The car takes 5w20 right? Are these engines known to burn oil as they age? Do you have to switch to a thicker grade?

How about the atf? Can you use multi vehicle atf from walmart, or are you dependent on the dealer?

·
Super Moderator
4,685 Posts
Yes, the car takes 5w20, but you can use 10w30 or 10w40. I've been using 10w30 in my car since I purchased it back in 2007 and never had a problem. She had 108k when I purchased her and now she just rolled over 230k last weekend.

Some people have mentioned that their car burns oil, but mine hasn't (knock on wood).

The ATF, I wouldn't recommend a multi-vehicle ATF from Wally-World unless it specifically states it's Honda Z1 certified. And no, I'm not dependent on the dealer either. I would purchase any brand listed here in the SAGA thread. But, to keep you from reading, the ones I remember off the top of my head are the synthetic formulas of AmsOil, Royal Purple, Valvoline, Mobile1, and RedLine D4. Be sure that whatever brand synthetic ATF fluid you buy from the ones I mentioned are HONDA Z1 COMPATIBLE. Otherwise, you run into a high likely hood of going from a $100 20k mile service job to a $2,000 rebuild job.

Oh, and I forgot to mention in my last post. In addition to doing a 3x drain and fill for your ATF, you want to also add an external filter and external cooler to further extend the life of the transmission. If you can't do both the cooler and filter, then at least do the filter.

·
7th Gear
3,424 Posts
With gas climbing again and you still in school, you should be looking for a 4 cylinder, not a 6.

Just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
4,685 Posts
With gas climbing again and you still in school, you should be looking for a 4 cylinder, not a 6.

Just my opinion.
I think you meant to post this in a different thread :nuts:

·
7th Gear
3,424 Posts
I think you meant to post this in a different thread :nuts:
Why?

He said he is a student and is looking at a V-6 with 130,000 miles.

Are you the Thought Police, or something? :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
4,685 Posts
Dyslexia WIN!

LOL. I read your post incorrectly as "there was carbon build-up in cylinder #4". Re-reading your last post (more closely now) proves this is not the case. I apologize :).

·
7th Gear
3,424 Posts
Dyslexia WIN!

LOL. I read your post incorrectly as "there was carbon build-up in cylinder #4". Re-reading your last post (more closely now) proves this is not the case. I apologize :).
:thmsup:

:lmao:

·
Zzzz
241 Posts
Honestly, this is not needed. A bit waste of money IMHO.

For example, I d&f my atf every 20k and I currently have 210k miles. A buddy of mine does it religiously at every other oil change and his failed at 133k. So if you have a bad tranny or *bad luck* it will go out either way.

·
Super Moderator
4,685 Posts
what year is your accord? what year is your friends? depending on which one you and your friend have will make a big difference as there were some minor changes done to the transmission in terms of materials used.

·
Zzzz
241 Posts
what year is your accord? what year is your friends? depending on which one you and your friend have will make a big difference as there were some minor changes done to the transmission in terms of materials used.
He has a 2001 and I have a 99. Are you implying that a certain year last longer than the other?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well I severely doubt Honda made it WORSE in 2001, so it just seems like it's lemon odds. :dunno: One of my neighbors had an odyssey with the same tranny woes and her first one failed under warranty, and the second one failed 30k miles later out of warranty, despite maintenance. She got a Subaru.

A simpler solution to the tranny woes; drive a manual <:

·
Super Moderator
4,685 Posts
He has a 2001 and I have a 99. Are you implying that a certain year last longer than the other?
They wouldn't make a car worse. But it seems that your friend had bad luck on his.

·
Greg
1,136 Posts
I think that just getting some new fluid in their regularly is the real important thing. I do a D&R every 15k and I still have a lot of metallic sludge on the drain plug, every time. Unfortunately with these trannys, luck or bad luck probably plays the biggest role in whether it will fail or not. I'd say about 55% luck 45% preventive maintenance. IMO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts