Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I should do so I wondered if any of you could help me. I read that the 2003 accord has an exposed A/C condenser which is easily hit and fractured by pebbles which can results in a leak.

So A/C stopped blowing cold air so:

day 1: Had it recharged with freon - compressor still wouldn't turn over

day 2: No freon left 24 hours later, obviously a leak. Shop I took it to recommended new compressor/clutch + receiver drier for a grand total of $1300.

Could either of the above components being faulty result in a leak? I read the compressor shuts down automatically if there is a leak.

Should I get a second opinion or buy the parts elsewhere and get someone to install them?

Thanks for your help

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
You can get a second opinion. I have driven my 2003 Accord for 7 years and not once has anything hit the compressor. So I don't really believe in that theory. If you think it is leaking, then see if a second opinion can confirm that, like maybe Honda? Then if they tell you the same thing, then maybe the independent shop wasn't wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response!

Definitely a leak, no freon left 24 hours after a refill. Question is, where is it coming from?

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
Who recharged it without adding dye or using an electronic leak detector?

There's no way to know where its leaking without doing the above, unless you have a huge hole someplace.

I've yet to see a gen7 with a holed condenser, some have rotted out the fins. Does the blower motor work? If the blower doesn't work the compressor won't turn on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't aware there was an issue when the initial refill occurred so they did not put dye into the freon. Still suspect that the compressor didn't turn on when freshly recharged.

Blower motor works fine, the air's just not cold.

Taking it second opinion elsewhere and will request freon with dye.

The first place quoted me $620 for a new compressor alone, without labor - surely I can just buy this part from ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/A-C-...fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#vi-content

1 - 5 of 5 Posts