Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I picked up a 2003 Accord Coupe 6cyl for my son. I am having issues with the radio turning on and draining the battery while the car is off. I am new to this site and couldn't find the search button or I would have done that first. Any help would be great.

Adam

·
Super Moderator
12,519 Posts
Welcome Adam,

Does the Accord's radio look like this?:

Or does it look like this?:

Or this (stereo underneath the head unit)?:

Tell us 1,2, or 3 and we will go from there....

·
Super Moderator
12,519 Posts
Thank you, yes that is indeed the stock radio.

Are you saying the stock radio stays on even when the key is out of the ignition, or the radio stays on when the car is turned off and the key is still in the ignition?

·
Honda Buff
470 Posts
key is out of the ignition and it kills the battery overnight.
My best guess would be that a previous owner replaced the radio with something else (Option 2 or 3 as shown above), and tore that out before selling the car. Who knows what kind of wiring massacre was done behind the dash. I would recommend pulling the radio and inspecting the wiring harness for bad connections and/or shorts to ground. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
12,519 Posts
^Agreed....unless I do not understand the OP here. You are saying that the radio "turns on" all by itself. Are you saying that sometime in the middle of the night, it just turns on? Or are you saying that it does not turn off?

Anyway, I've pulled that head unit out of the 7th gen so many times it takes me less than 12 minutes- so easy. All you need is a nylon pry bar, a Phillips screwdriver, and a 10mm socket with a 6" extension attached to a socket wrench.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is an example of what I am talking about. I walked by the car this morning bringing my trash out and the radio was on. Nobody was awake yet the radio was on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
ahurrell
Drive Accord Honda Forums
Drive Accord forum, a community where Honda Accord owners can discuss reviews, service, parts, and share mods.
Full Forum Listing