Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have a 2003 Accord 2.4 with 282km on it, she drives perfectly fine , apart from drinking oil which i cannot complain considering her mileage.

My issue is that after driving it especially in the cold, i have started to get severe headaches , and was wondering if emmissions could be entering the car, especially when the heater is on.

I do not have any issues in the summer months.

In addition the CEL light came on and the code was P0420 , as well as she has started to consume a little more gas. I checked the exhaust system and it seemed to be fine, i.e no visible leaks or holes in it. Just wondering if any body knew how any emmissions could be entering the car if there was no leak on the exhaust system . Any advice would be great, would changing the O2 Sensors help , or the PCV Valve or anything else. She runs perfectly fine other than the emissions coming through the car when running the heater .

Thanks

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Whoa, this is a new one....

Does it make a difference to how you are feeling regarding using "fresh air" or if you have it on "recirculate"?

I used a Nighthawk brand home carbon monoxide monitor (with digital readout and battery power) to see if carbon monoxide was getting into a friends Triumph TR7 car....and yes, we detected low levels. The exhaust manifold itself was slightly cracked, and air was brought in through the engine compartment to get into the cabin. So we were getting exhaust into the cabin. But that was a POS Triumph from like 1981 or something....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried it with and without and there is no difference. Only way i can drive is with the windows open but with winter coming this is not feasible.

I checked the exhaust and no leaks, not sure if a muffler shop can detect leaks which are not obvious, any thoughts.

DOnt want to replace the whole exhaust system if this is not the cause.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
I am at a loss...only thing I can think of is....Seafoam. I Seafomed my cars last night- through their intakes, NOT their gas tanks. The white smoke produced is VERY visible coming out of the exhaust. If you have a leak/cracked gasket, etc., the white smoke coming out should be very visible.

A bottle is under $10 and Seafoaming should take you 15 minutes.
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20631&highlight=golftango+seafoam

·
Legitimate hack
1,417 Posts
I am at a loss...only thing I can think of is....Seafoam. I Seafomed my cars last night- through their intakes, NOT their gas tanks. The white smoke produced is VERY visible coming out of the exhaust. If you have a leak/cracked gasket, etc., the white smoke coming out should be very visible.

A bottle is under $10 and Seafoaming should take you 15 minutes.
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20631&highlight=golftango+seafoam
This is probably the easiest and most cost effective way to find an exhaust leak. OP, if you do in fact have an exhaust leak into the cabin, get it serviced right away. CO poisoning isn't a pleasant way to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts