Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Accord FTW
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for the past few months i have noticed a nasty engine rattle. At right around 3500 RPM my engine starts getting a nasty metallic rattle sound then stops as soon as it shifts. When i put the car in neutral and rev it, it does not make any noise though. Also, i have been burning oil because quite a few times now my oil pressure idiot light has started blinking which means that pressure dropped for a split second during hard cornering due to low oil (that is what the owners manual says about the blinking oil pressure light).

I am assuming that these two are linked to each other but i really have no clue. My local mechanic told me that the burning oil is most likely due to a ring being stuck open and letting oil burn up in the motor but he wasn't absolutely sure.

Has anyone experienced these problems or know what might be wrong with my motor? Or is the metallic sound even coming from the motor? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm getting really nervous because i keep thinking, "oh crap, what if my engine is about to die?" lol

oh, and btw, its a 2003 Accord coupe EX with the i4.

Thanks guys :thmsup:

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
How many miles are on it and how often are you changing oil? If your oil is at the proper level, the light should never blink when cornering. How hard are you driving the car? Are you sure your engine is rattling and not your transmission?

·
Accord FTW
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have about 95,000 miles on the car. The oil is changed every 3 to 5 thousand miles. I don't drive the car hard at all. Before i started hearing the rattle noise i would floor it occasionally and corner hard if i was about to miss my turn or something but since i started hearing it i try to accelerate as slow as possible and not corner hard ever. When i am driving it sounds like the noise is coming from the engine bay but i could be wrong since it doesn't rattle when i rev it in neutral.

·
Accord FTW
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i hope it isn't something serious or going to be something serious lol. =(

·
Registered
195 Posts
when was the last time the pcv valve was changed? That can play a big part in oil burning.

As for the rattle, have you had any exhaust work done? Remove a resonator or anything lately?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The rattle sounds like some sort of transmission problem. does it rattle at 3500 in all gears?

·
Registered
195 Posts
The rattle sounds like some sort of transmission problem. does it rattle at 3500 in all gears?
That's what I'm thinking. My guess would be a cracked flexplate

·
Accord FTW
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when was the last time the pcv valve was changed? That can play a big part in oil burning.

As for the rattle, have you had any exhaust work done? Remove a resonator or anything lately?
I have had the car for about two years now and i have never had the pcv valve replaced. I don't know if or when it was replaced before i had the car.

As for exhaust, everything is stock and never been replaced.

Yes it rattles in just about every gear but it doesn't do it every time i accelerate. I don't think it rattles in first gear though. Sometimes it does it and Sometimes it doesn't.

·
Accord FTW
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I'm thinking. My guess would be a cracked flexplate
I don't know much about flexplates. I researched it a little bit and came accross some youtube videos of cars with cracked flex plates and its not the same sound. But then again maybe mine just hasn't gotten that bad yet. And it doesnt rattle at all when i rev it in neutral. i can take it all the way to the limiter and its perfectly smooth and very clean sounding.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
Can you put up a video or sound file of the noise?

The noise, is it only when you're at the rpm range you mentioned, when neither accelerating or decelerating? As in the engine is revving but not loaded or being slowed down by the car?

·
Accord FTW
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you put up a video or sound file of the noise?

The noise, is it only when you're at the rpm range you mentioned, when neither accelerating or decelerating? As in the engine is revving but not loaded or being slowed down by the car?
unfortunately i wont be able to put a video or sound file up until at least this weekend due to not having my car at college =[ (University of Cincinnati wants $300 a quarter for a parking pass...)

Anyway, the rattling noise occurs when i am accelerating and starts right around that rpm. it does not happen when decelerating. It only happens when i accelerate and stops as soon as the car shifts up a gear. Also, when i accelerate slow i can't hear it. It gets louder if i accelerate harder.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
It's going to be hard to tell without hearing it.

By what you're describing though it's not good.

I'd avoid using it as much as possible. Check the oil, take the dipstick and get it into sunlight or under a very bright incandescent lamp. Do you see shiny flakes in the oil?

·
Accord FTW
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's going to be hard to tell without hearing it.

By what you're describing though it's not good.

I'd avoid using it as much as possible. Check the oil, take the dipstick and get it into sunlight or under a very bright incandescent lamp. Do you see shiny flakes in the oil?
No, there are no flakes in the oil. But then again, the oil was changed recently. I'll try to get home this weekend and get a recording of the rattle. I've been trying to drive it as carefully as possible, i hope i'm not making it any worse =[

·
Accord FTW
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
parking pass is expensive at every university! i have a parking permit at UCR
Not at community college lol. But i rather deal with not having my car and become an engineer lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Probably a dumb thing to say... but that almost sounds like octane knock to me. Has the quality of gas deteriorated in your area, or have you changed gas stations recently? My F150 can rattle like an SOB under heavy load in middle gears.

·
Accord FTW
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Probably a dumb thing to say... but that almost sounds like octane knock to me. Has the quality of gas deteriorated in your area, or have you changed gas stations recently? My F150 can rattle like an SOB under heavy load in middle gears.
I've thought about that. I really hope that the gas quality hasn't gone down around me. I only put shell 87 in my tank. I'm gonna try putting shell 89 in my tank next time I'm low on gas.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just for grins, you could go to Shell and top off with the highest octane stuff they have (93?), to raise the average octane level in the tank. It's a longshot, but it will provide a little bit more data.

·
Accord FTW
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just for grins, you could go to Shell and top off with the highest octane stuff they have (93?), to raise the average octane level in the tank. It's a longshot, but it will provide a little bit more data.
Yes, i was thinking about that but that would also require paying over $3 a gallon for gas which i am not a fan of lol.

I've got a family friend coming by this weekend to take a look at the engine. If he doesn't know what's wrong then i have no idea what i am going to do. He is "Ohio George" Montgomery's engine builder at his speed shop in Dayton. I'll keep you guys updated if i learn anything new.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize this is a 4 year old thread, but my accord has that same knocking sound when I accelerate hard. It goes away as soon as it shifts into a higher gear. Did you figure out what was causing it?
I filled up with 93 octane and the sound went away almost entirely. So I'm guessing it's spark knock, but not sure what's causing it. I've switched back to 87 octane gas (tried Shell and Chevron), and I'm hearing the knock again. So far, my mechanic has not been able to figure it out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts