Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a v6 accord with over heating issues. I bought the car a month ago and it ran fine. I was stuck in traffic a few days ago when suddenly the A/C turned off, and I noticed the temp guage was all the day to hot. I pulled over and opened the hood and noticed that coolant had spilled all over the engine block (possibly due to how high the pressure was) and had to get the car towed home. Now I've been trying to diagnose the problem over the past two days and have done all of the following.

I know both fans work, The A/C condenser (right/passenger) fan works fine when the A/C is turned on. Its the radiator fan that does not come on at all with or without the A/C, hot or not. I checked the fuses, and they're all good. Relays are good, I swapped and tested individually. I hot wired the fan to the battery and it works. I checked the voltage at the fan plug with/without the A/C and its at 0V. At first I thought it was the ECT switch located just below the throttle body just where the gentleman is pointing here

although mine is a 3.0.

So I checked the switch resistance values and when cold its about 1400 ohms and when warm its about 148 ohms. I checked the voltage coming into the plug and its about 5V (is that the correct value?). I replaced the ECT sensor and nothing. Read the values from the new sensor and they're very similar. I kinda expected it since the sensor seemed fine but I just wanted to rule it out. I then thought it could be the other fan switch sensor that most cars have but just like the OP in this thread

I could not find it. I got under the car and looked all over the fan housing, next to the hose, underneath but I simply could not find the sensor... Its not there since according to that same thread the signal to turn the fan on is given be the ECM so there is no need for that extra switch since the ECM just read the value from the ECT (temp sensor).

The weird thing is that I tried driving the car last night and for the first ride (about 2 miles) the gauge would go just a little past the middle and then return back. Once I returned from the test ride, the car did smoke a bit and spilled the coolant that I refilled, but the gauge never really got all the way to the H like it did the first time it overheated. I also tried driving it with the heater on and that gives me a bit more range but nothing makes the radiator fan come on...

The day after it over heated I took it to an action gator and they said that it needed to be taken to an electro mechanic since the circuit has a modification, however, I looked at it and the radiator fan is just plugged into the socket and that socket goes somewhere into the main bus that I believe go into the fusebox/ECM. There are no spliced wires or anything, also I am a college kid so an electro mechanic is out of my budget.

I loaned a scanner and here are some of the codes I got.

Now heres how the coolant shoots out the white resevoir.

I would really appreciate your help, its the only vehicle I have at my disposal. I don't want my only option to be wiring the radiator fan with the condenser fan.

·
2020 best year
4,410 Posts
None of the links/pics work...

I can't say much without seeing a 7th Gen 3.0 service manual and the wiring diagram for the cooling system. @Das Chicken, you got it? I'd start by physically inspecting all the wiring and make sure nothing got chewed up.

Fans don't matter much when you get up to speed. At cruising speed, you have enough air coming through the radiator.

And when you say smoke is coming out... That's a bit worrying. Do you have thick white smoke coming out the tailpipe? If so, you will have to replace the head gasket.

Where is the coolant spilling out from under the hood?

These coolant temp gauges are mostly idiot lights. Getting all the way to H is really bad. Remember to glance at it once in a while. If it starts to rise above the normal position, stop driving.

·
V4 Watch
934 Posts
Okay, first off, it sounds like you have a coolant leak, or air in the cooling system, maybe both. I got similar symptoms with my 4 cylinder accord when I got air in the cooling system after swapping a short ram intake onto it. The swap involved replacing a little coolant line to the throttle body, I thought nothing of it. I thought wrong. I saw as high as 249F, no smoke or leaking coolant though. Nursed it back home, none of the fans were running.

None of the links/pics work...

I can't say much without seeing a 7th Gen 3.0 service manual and the wiring diagram for the cooling system. @Das Chicken, you got it?
Indeed.

Solve the overheating issue first. You may find that your fans are just fine.
Text Font Line Parallel

Text Font Line Number Document

Text Font Line Diagram Parallel

Text Font Line Parallel

Text Font Line Number

·
V4 Watch
934 Posts
Last pictures
Text Font Line Diagram Parallel

Text Font Line Document Paper product

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.