Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Re-Honda-ed up! ;)
2003 Honda Accord LX 4cyl. I4 5AT @ 117.1k
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I am considering purchasing a 2003 Accord LX, 4cyl., 117,102 miles. Drives nice with no seeming problems or noises until braking.
From ~35mph and above I apply the brakes and there is a rhythmic, low toned thumping, bumping noise that doesn't seem to start immediately but closer to the stopping point.
It seems to be coming from the front right side but not entirely sure. It's not a single thump but continuous.
It continues until stopped then disappears moving forward again. It isn't very loud, similar to bumping your palm on a somewhat solid surface. Rotors, pads look ok upon quick inspect in sellers yard. Boots are intact. The vehicle has sat for a couple months.
Any ideas, help would be vastly appreciated. Kinda in a spot as my usual vehicle popped it's head gasket.
Thanks!

·
Re-Honda-ed up! ;)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bought it. The noise is very pronounced when braking from higher speeds. Warped rotor, pads, something installed incorrectly .... guess I'll find out on my own.

Reactions: mtts60

·
Re-Honda-ed up! ;)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will do mtts60 and thanks for the reply.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,137 Posts
Sounds like old rotors. They can warp, but more often they get knotty collections of pad dust. If it were me I'd do a complete brake job.

Reactions: Scott A.

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
969 Posts
If you're willing to spend the time and/or money on the suggested complete brake job, you're almost guaranteed to find and fix the problem. Or, at the very least, you'd be able to eliminate the entire brake system as the cause if it doesn't. If you're willing, I think that'd be a good step to take.

Also, you didn't ask, but just a word of advice- if this is an automatic, take good care of the transmission and stay on top of fluid changes (use Honda's DW1). These transmissions are really touchy.

·
Re-Honda-ed up! ;)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you slimm & Ash for your input. Complete brake job incoming. ;) I will do it myself.

Ash, I've always seen differing opinions on tranny fluid changes. If it were changed previously at regular intervals then a change is ok. If no fluid change has happened for a long period of time it may create problems in an older vehicle. Previous owner didn't know and had it for 7 years. The fluid looks and smells ok. It is automatic. What do you think about that?
Advice, if good, is never unwelcome. Thanks.

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
969 Posts
Personally, I've never believed that maintenance could harm a car, but I've also only recently heard about that rumor (if we can call it that?), so you might want to ask someone with a little more experience about it.

If the fluid is red and does not smell burnt, it should be good, but there also shouldn't be any harm in changing it early if you feel more comfortable with that.
From personal experience, we had a 2005 LX 4 cylinder automatic fail on us around 130k with proper and timely Honda dealership maintenance, meanwhile, there is someone on this forum with 400 or 500k on their original transmission. I think their car is a 2004. So it's kind of a crapshoot I suppose, but I wouldn't be taking any risks with such a pricey part.

Honda transmissions are always a drain and fill, NEVER a flush, by the way. The substitute for a flush is a 3x drain and fill.

·
Re-Honda-ed up! ;)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Coincides with my thinking. Thank you Ash. Understood, NEVER flush. Perusing other posts about it and saw that quite succinctly. ;)

Reactions: Ash051
1 - 9 of 9 Posts