Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Accord LX that has a intermittent starting problem. When I turned the key it would crank very slowly and the lights would be fading in and out. At first I thought it was a bad battery but I have changed out 3 batteries in the last 2 months. I just checked the voltage of the battery and it indicated 12.7 V so I ruled out it is the battery problem at this time. Most of the time I can get it started without any issue, but if I stopped and tried to restart it again some time I will have the problem restarting. It will crank slowly a couple of times and then completely dead. The weird part is the problem comes and go and it does not happen all the time. One thing I am sure is the crank is always weak and slow even if I can get it started. I want to make sure I know what the problem is and fix it so I don't get stranded. Could it be the starter is going out? I hope to get some feedback from this great forum... Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a 2003 Accord LX that has a intermittent starting problem. When I turned the key it would crank very slowly and the lights would be fading in and out. At first I thought it was a bad battery but I have changed out 3 batteries in the last 2 months. I just checked the voltage of the battery and it indicated 12.7 V so I ruled out it is the battery problem at this time. Most of the time I can get it started without any issue, but if I stopped and tried to restart it again some time I will have the problem restarting. It will crank slowly a couple of times and then completely dead. The weird part is the problem comes and go and it does not happen all the time. One thing I am sure is the crank is always weak and slow even if I can get it started. I want to make sure I know what the problem is and fix it so I don't get stranded. Could it be the starter is going out? I hope to get some feedback from this great forum... Thanks in advance!

Do you have the I-4 or V-6? Where are you located sub zero temps? what size battery how many cold cranking amps? These are a few things that will help the great people on this forum in advising you on a fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a I-4 and I live in Dallas, Texas. The new battery I have in the car now has a 500 CCA and Cranking Amp at 32 degree is 625. Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Starter, had exactly the same symptoms, 4 cyl. Very high current draw due to failing motor causes slow crank and dimmed lights. Finally refused to crank.

·
Registered
385 Posts
might be the fuel pump valve has gone bad so fuel runs back into the tank every time you turn off the car instead of staying in the line.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
@morpheus: The fact that you changed out 3 batteries in the last three months has me a little worried here. Are the batteries in fact dead?

Have you gone to a Pep Boys or Advanced Auto-type place for one of their fast and free battery/alternator checks? Just want to rule out a bad alternator that may not be recharging the battery. If the alternator is good, and so is the battery, then yes, it is most likely the starter going bad.

I know your volts are "good", but even a battery with very little power remaining will show 12.6 volts on a digital multimeter. But if you check capacity, it may be at 10%.

Lastly, how is your positive (red) battery cable? Any corrosion on the ends of it (both at the battery AND at the starter)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all... I will go to Autozone tomorrow and see if I can borrow their kit to check for battery and alternator just to rule out these variables. The interesting part is the problem come and go and there is no way to reproduce it every single time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts