Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

A 2003 Accord Coupe V6 6M has been in the family for 3 years now. It's on 139000 miles. A couple months ago the a/c stopped working. We may have found why. I'm really not knowledgeable on car a/c, but diagrams show that the a/c compressor clutch is, I guess, bent. I haven't found another instance of a 7th gen accord bending this.

Online, it seems that you can't buy just that part and replace it. Entire compressors are quoted $300+ for the part alone.

Anyone had this happen? This car is my mom's DD, and is scheduled for a 600 mile trip at the end of the month. Can just the bent part be fixed? Does the entire compressor have to be replaced, and if so, how difficult is this? This is being replaced on her dime, and I'd rather not tell her it'll be a thousand dollar fix around the holidays.

Pictures provided, any help much appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No info on this kind of thing?

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,676 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can buy just the clutch, but it's not a simple replacement. I had the dealership replace my clutch and stator/coil, at a cost of $600. One guy on the forum said he changed his, without evacuating the system and removing the hoses. There is a certain clearance that has to be achieved by using shims between the clutch and compressor. He said he unbolted the compressor from the engine, then removed the clutch with the hoses still connected. Good luck, if you try it. There's not much room to work down there. You can check the prices on an online dealership like Majestic Honda etc. The clutch itself is almost $200.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello,

A 2003 Accord Coupe V6 6M has been in the family for 3 years now. It's on 139000 miles. A couple months ago the a/c stopped working. We may have found why. I'm really not knowledgeable on car a/c, but diagrams show that the a/c compressor clutch is, I guess, bent. I haven't found another instance of a 7th gen accord bending this.

Online, it seems that you can't buy just that part and replace it. Entire compressors are quoted $300+ for the part alone.

Anyone had this happen? This car is my mom's DD, and is scheduled for a 600 mile trip at the end of the month. Can just the bent part be fixed? Does the entire compressor have to be replaced, and if so, how difficult is this? This is being replaced on her dime, and I'd rather not tell her it'll be a thousand dollar fix around the holidays.

Pictures provided, any help much appreciated!
What do you mean by "diagrams" show the clutch to be bent? I've never seen them bend, as the previous poster said, they can obtain a gap larger than specified and not engage properly. Ir the clutch could just be bad, in that case I would recommend just replacing the complete unit which would require evacuation of the a/c system. Does the clutch cycle on and off? If not I would Check the clutch fuse/relay first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts