Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm very new to this but wanted to see if I can get some feed back on my problem. My Accord is a 2003 with 250,000 miles. It was running good then I started noticing that it was losing power. When I'm at 30-40mph the RPMS go to 3000 and stay there and I can't go any faster. It doesn't shift over. If anyone can take the time to give me a few pointers, I would appreciate it.

· 8th Gen Believer
5,648 Posts
Your transmission may be slipping. I experienced that in an 03 V6 I had.

· Registered
04, v6 accord, ¿lx?, BAYA, J30A4
451 Posts
Does the “D” light flash when you experience this? (As in the gear selector light near the tachometer)

4 or 6 cylinder? You can find out by looking at a sticker under the hood it’ll either say 2.4 (4cyl) or 3.0 (6 cyl). Or it may tell you on the plastic shield over the engine.

the 6 cylinder had multiple issues and recalls for the transmission throughout the 7th generation, requiring replacement or rebuild. There really aren’t any other long term fixes.

The 4 cylinders also experienced some failures but at a fraction of the rate that the 6 cylinders did.

If it’s a 6 cylinder 250,000 miles for that vintage is pretty good life exempting any rebuild or replacement done before or while you owned it.

You may be able to eek some extra miles out of it with fluid drain and fills but it won’t last, if it even helps out at all (which it probably won’t)… maybe just enough to get you into a shop?

It sounds like 3rd gear clutch pack is shot and intermittently grabbing. As for the 30-40 mph range; the vehicle (if on flat surface) should be shifting from 3rd to 4th with the 3rd rpm range anywhere between 1800 to 2600 and a fair amount less once it shifts into 4th (pending pedal position). Every time you give it more gas without increasing speed it is causing more “damage” (quotes because it’s friction disk that can be replaced but takes A TON OF WORK to get to them to replace them).

if you’ve got six cylinders, sadly… it’s not going to “get better”… There’s no magic fluid that will make it fine, there’s no simple electrical plug you can replace that will allow you to keep rolling with ease…

if you have a secondary vehicle or another way to get around until you can research and diagnose more, then you should park your accord before it fails you on a hill.

if you don’t, it’s only getting worse anytime it hits 3rd gear which is often.

If you love your car and want to keep it rolling a rebuild isn’t really cheap. It’s in the multple thousands of dollars. If you can do it yourself which is a HUGE TIME CONSUMING JOB it will still cost you at a minimum a grand.

a good transmission shop can trouble shoot this for you or a reputable Honda service department.

Notice I didn’t ask about fluid quality

1 - 3 of 3 Posts